Chronicling rental/backline kits from around the world! 😁

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Cool idea, I should have done this on my last European tour. I had some nights with really fantastic kits, and some with a "You really expect me to play that" kind of reaction, lol.

Next tour I do where I have to have backline set up maybe I'll start documenting things.

Super Phil

cool thread idea. A Yamaha RC at one gig?!
I had the Recording Custom kit for a whole 5 week tour. Some places still prefer you use the house kit, so in those instances i used the house kit.

For our two shows in Spain i had a nice Gretsch kit with all Zildjian A Custom cymbals.

Just got done in Verona, Italy where i had a really nice Tama StarClassic Maple kit....nicely accompanied by Zildjian Planet Z cymbals, lol

PlayTheSong

Re: Chronicling rental/backline kits from around the world! ��

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I have a question though.
What's with the Jack daniels drum heads on 2 separate kits? . At first I was thinking it was "band name related" (I suppose it could be still, yet, different kits, and 2 different designs.)

Just curious. Thanks.

T.
I'm guessing Jack Daniels did a promo for live music clubs where they provided these free heads for the advertising. Not a bad idea!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Here in Bulgaria they have provided a Sonor Force 3007 kit. The high tom is a Sonor Martini tom.... and if you'll notice...no cymbals. For some reason they didn't bring cymbals, and are unable to get any here in time. So looks like I'll be jamming this show without cymbals, lol
I think the "No cymbal challenge" should be the next big youtube thing. Play your whole set without any pies and see if you can make it not sound like butt.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I think the "No cymbal challenge" should be the next big youtube thing. Play your whole set without any pies and see if you can make it not sound like butt.
I think there's a story about I think one of the Peter Gabriel albums, that he told Phil Collins to not use any cymbals on the drum parts.

BruceW

What a cool thread! I hope Phil keeps it updated, and we get to see some other stuff folks encounter......very, very cool.

Super Phil

Cool idea, document the atrocities, please! What do you take with you when you travel?
For these last couple of trips all i have brought is sticks. I have brought cymbals in the past, but they're heavy to carry and can bring about weight penalties on airlines. I used to bring my double pedal too, but the last time i brought a double pedal it ended up taking a month long tour of the Middle East when a security agent in Kosovo wouldn't let me bring it on the plane as a carry on, forced me to check it last minute, and of course it didn't make it on to my flight. I consider myself lucky that i even got it back a month later. So now sticks is it!

Super Phil

Played in Crete and they had a nice Pearl Reference kit for me. What's funny about this is there was a 14 inch crash cymbal, a 20 inch Paiste ride, and a 20 inch Zildjian ride. So i used to Paiste ride as a second crash... and it sounded not too bad, lol

Super Phil

Now we've got a week or so through Holland, Belgium, and Germany, and it's SOOOO nice to be on a tour bus instead of airplanes. I've got a really nice DW kit with Sabian Artisan cymbals for the rest of the shows.

Super Phil

Back over doing another run through Italy...played the Festa Americana in Naples, and they had a nice Yamaha Live Custom kit.

Super Phil

Here at Camp Darby (near Pisa) they had this Mapex kit for me. Appears to be some sort of signature kit. I've never heard of the guy (guess i should google it), but the drums are really nice!

Check out the serial number...

Nice sounding set of Amedia cymbals with this kit too.