Christmas present pondering

TWerner

So I considered putting this in the cymbal section, because that's what I'm leaning towards, but decided to post here since maybe someone has a better idea.

My son is playing a 5 piece kit 2 up, 1 down toms. Has a ride mounted on the bass with the two toms to the left of that. He plays open, and we just moved his crash from his right to the left. Apparently now doing simple fills he can hit it as the first beat of the groove and then move left hand to the hi hats easier. Of course now there's a big space on the right, that seems like a good place for a Christmas present. What do you think?

Current cymbal are 14" new beat hats, 16" HHX sound control crash, 20" 602 sizzle ride with 2 of 8 rivets in. (All ebay wins.)
I was thinking an 18" crash ride where the 16" is now might be neat, and then put the 16" crash back on the right. Then I found someone selling an AAX studio ride nearby, and I wondered if that was worth using as a crash ride on the left over the hats. Or there the option of a 12" splash or 14" crash to put on the right, or a cowbell? (His set needs more cowbell!)

Any advice, or anything you guys are asking for that I should consider instead? My son doesn't have gas, but lucky for him, dad does.

Thanks,
Todd

I'd get him an 18" crash to the left that can also be used as a ride, like the 19" AAXplosion crash for instance (which is what I use). The thing about crash-rides, unless you get a really good one (like a K Custom) and you know the sound you're looking for, they do neither crashing or riding particularly well.

Medium heavy will get you more of a rock sound. Medium thin is also a consideration for more versatility. Also, buying new will get you a 30-day return in case he doesn't like it.

Thanks. I was guessing medium heavy since rides seem to be heavier than crashes. At least what I've seen, which isn't a lot. Figured a heavier crash might be more rideable.

On the new thing, there are always deals to be found on ebay and CL, and the cymbals I've bought that we didn't like, I sold for what I paid with shipping. He really doesn't have drum gas at all, and won't mind something used. Oh, I did loose $5 on a 21" AAX stage ride that was painfully loud in his drum area. The 602 is mellow compared to that one. Mellow/easy to control volume is high on the list of desired characteristics at this point in his development!

Ya, it might be more washy or more pingy (which can be good). I found a 20" AMIR (not AMIR II) for $65 (w/ shipping) off EBAY and it's a wonderful crash-ride. Just try a few out.

Hopefully another drummer can chime in here too. My experience is limited to a point.

Have you considered a china, expand his sound palette? Can also be used as a crash/ride..

Dutch

Hi Dutch,

I don't know cymbals that well, but china's always sound like like oscar's trash can lid on sesame street. I'm not sure he'd like one.

What?

No cowbell?

I know. Negligent parenting.
Gene is probably rolling over in his grave.

An 8 and a 10 inch Splash Cybal with Gibraltar Grips....that's what I just purchased off of Amazon a week ago.

Ludwig Maple-Black Oyster Pearl
20x14
8x14
8x12
8x14

Thanks, he does like the idea of a splash. It's one of the drum items he's commented on when he's seen them. Thinks they are "cool".

What are Gibraltar Grips?

Unexpectedly won two ebay auctions
Soul Tone 10" splash/china stack
Sabian 13" El Sabor Splash
Pretty cymbals.
I may have to give one of those to his cousin who also plays as a ChristmaKwanzikah present.

Back