Chris Slade drumming for AC/DC again?

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Using Slade in place of Phil Rudd makes since. He knows how to play with the boys. Nobody else, however, has the feel and groove that Rudd possesses.

Besides the obvious sound of the guitars (which are now slightly different), it's Phil Rudd's drumming that stands out the most in that distinct AC/DC sound.

mpthomson

Best solution under the circumstances. Phil's drumming has deteriorated over the last few years, he's still got the feel but nothing else now, and Chris Slade has been described by the Youngs and Brian as being the best musician and drummer that's ever played with the band.

This almost certainly means the end permanently for Phil. Given the awkward circumstances of Chris' leaving last time, he'll have wanted some guarantees that Phil wouldn't be coming back halfway through the tour (in the unlikely event of him being able to) and I can't see them doing another album now.

The end of this tour would seem a suitable moment to bow out gracefully, allowing Brian to make more car programmes for the television!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Interesting they went Slade and not Simon Wright.

Although there is an interview that AC/DC forced Slade to quit when Rudd took an interest in rejoining, so perhaps this is a little restitution to Slade.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Interesting they went Slade and not Simon Wright.

Although there is an interview that AC/DC forced Slade to quit when Rudd took an interest in rejoining, so perhaps this is a little restitution to Slade.
I read an interview with Slade and he said he quit the band when they told him they wanted to audition Phil again. He admitted that he did it hastily and out of anger. But, I can understand that. I mean if you feel like you're killing it with the band and Angus calls you to say they're interested in auditioning Phil again...

I'm a fan of how Slade drove the band. To me Phil's live stuff sounded like he was just playing along to the music. It felt lazy rather than in the groove. Slade's live stuff felt like he was driving the band. Maybe my imagination but the rest of the band sounded more energized too.

Bonzodownunder

SO WHY wouldn't they just use Phil or Simon?,
Imho/fwiw MUCH prefer both Phils&Simons drum sound!.
Is Slade still endorsing Pearl? :(.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
SO WHY wouldn't they just use Phil............
Haven't opened a newspaper in recent times mate? Criminal charges notwithstanding, by all accounts his head his simply not in the game.

As for Slade, obvious choice. He worked a treat once before. I have no doubt he'll work a treat again.

Musicians of all levels really don't tend to be that different.....in that so many mix in the same circles. When you find the ones you gel with, you tend to be drawn back to them. Guys who have been first call in the past, just tend to be first call when needed again. It just works that way.

mpthomson

SO WHY wouldn't they just use Phil or Simon?,
Imho/fwiw MUCH prefer both Phils&Simons drum sound!.
Is Slade still endorsing Pearl? :(.
Because Phil Rudd is presently a liability the band can do without. There's also the not so small matter that his bail conditions mean that he can't leave New Zealand, plus if he gets a drug conviction (highly likely, you don't get charged with this unless they've been found on you) then he won't be able to enter the US, meaning he can't tour in the band's biggest market.

I don't think Chris ever actually endorsed anyone. He's currently using a DW kit, alongside the original natural maple Pearl kit he had when he joined thelast time.

mpthomson

I read an interview with Slade and he said he quit the band when they told him they wanted to audition Phil again. He admitted that he did it hastily and out of anger. But, I can understand that. I mean if you feel like you're killing it with the band and Angus calls you to say they're interested in auditioning Phil again...

I'm a fan of how Slade drove the band. To me Phil's live stuff sounded like he was just playing along to the music. It felt lazy rather than in the groove. Slade's live stuff felt like he was driving the band. Maybe my imagination but the rest of the band sounded more energized too.
The best example of this is the Donington DVD (video from Donington, audio from Barcelona...). However the tempos on this aren't to do with Slade. Apparently the Youngs wanted all the songs played at that tempo and Chris had a metronome next him to give the tempos for the songs.

The driving nature of his drumming is down to the fact that Chris plays on the beat while Phil is a little behind on the backbeats. I like them both as players and it's good to see Chris back again. i think there's unfinished business there as the Youngs didn't actually want him to leave the first time.

mpthomson

As did I, though I was slightly surprised by the tempo of Highway to Hell. The thing that marked Chris' first time round with the band is the faster tempo that most of the earlier stuff was played at (at the Young's behest, not anything to do with Chris' timekeeping).

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
As did I, though I was slightly surprised by the tempo of Highway to Hell. The thing that marked Chris' first time round with the band is the faster tempo that most of the earlier stuff was played at (at the Young's behest, not anything to do with Chris' timekeeping).

Quote....Just saw AC/DC open the show. They're only thing I wanted to see. They didn't sound too good. The tempo on Highway to Hell was dragging very badly

OK I'm confused. Was it too fast or was it dragging?

mpthomson

Quote....Just saw AC/DC open the show. They're only thing I wanted to see. They didn't sound too good. The tempo on Highway to Hell was dragging very badly

OK I'm confused. Was it too fast or was it dragging?
I don't think it was dragging, I think the tempo was a conscious decision.

What I meant was that when Chris was drumming for them in the early 90s the earlier songs were played signififcantly faster than they were originally recorded, which was down to the Youngs wanting them played at that tempo.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That tempo is most definitely slower than the recorded version. I prefer it a little faster, but it wasn't bad IMO. A different feel for sure.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Not exactly sure who I'm quoting here but I agree with whoever it was that thought it was dragging...it kept getting slower! Agonizing! But Rock Or Bust sounded great...very odd. Anyway, I reckon this could be fun. I was a Rudd diehard early on but I must admit Slade's playing with them has grown on me (esp Live At Donington, probably my favourite concert video of all time)...and I still find his rendition of Let There Be Rock astonishing. I can't keep that tempo up for eight bars, let alone fifteen solid minutes!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Tempo is slow, but it's Angus who starts it off slow.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, this is their first gig since Steve Young officially took over for Malcom.

So it's not just a new (old) drummer, but a new (old) rhythm guitar player.

IMHO, the drumming is fine, but the guitar playing isn't as locked into the drumming as it could be.

But with such an event, sound checks are limited, the band doesn't get to have their people running sound, and there are 101 other things going on at once with TV production, audience, etc. It could just be they couldn't hear each other that well, even with the in-ear monitors.