Chris Cornell is dead

wtf?

I was just listening to rusty cage this morning...... sad face....

Devastated!!

Loved his voice. Loved his music. Loved his contribution to the soundtrack that is my life.

52!?!? So sad.

I so wish this wasn't true.

I feel really sad,
I loved this guy, we were listening to some audioslave yesterday or the day before in my car with my wife ; and we shared the same feeling, what a voice, what a man !
I discovered him with black hole sun, followed his music with temple of the dog and audioslave.
I liked his acoustic work, what he did also on Billie Jean,...

What a true bummer. All these rock stars checking out. I remember Spoonman really getting me to wanna play drums again.

Soundgarden was always one of my favorite bands. Louder than Love actually had a pretty profound effect on me, and really lead me down the musical path I have been on my whole life. My only hope is that his death will bring more awareness to the crippling effects of mental health issues and the terrible toll it can have on people. Definitely gone too soon.

I think my screenname alone will attest to the level of shock that I'm in right now after waking up to the news.

Absolutely Shocking. What a powerful archetypal voice in rock music. RIP and condolences to his family. This will take awhile to digest.

It's shocking and awful. He performed in my backyard last night.

The thing that is hitting me hardest is thinking about how the lead singers of so many top bands from the early-90s are gone now. That was such an exciting time musically for me, when grunge came around and the music got raw again. I guess it's not for everybody, but it felt like a big part of my generation. The movie Singles was on recently and a lot of the musicians of that time were in it. It is so strange to think of how they're gone now.

RIP, Chris.

Soundgarden was a neat band, and CC was a great vocalist for the genre that inspired many. Truly wonderful stuff.

Forgive me if this seems curt... but am I the only one who lacks sympathy for rich and famous heroine addicts that kill themselves?

I was at an open mic last night and the last song was "Like a stone" at around 2am. Hadn't been played there for a long time, probably years. After it was done someone asked if it was a tribute and I don't think I got what their meaning was.

Soundgarden was a neat band, and CC was a great vocalist for the genre that inspired many. Truly wonderful stuff.

Forgive me if this seems curt... but am I the only one who lacks sympathy for rich and famous heroine addicts that kill themselves?

I'm not mad at him or unsympathetic. His choice was very disappointing, but it's not for me to decide for him or lack sympathy for the demons that drove this.

Don't forget, money really, honestly truly doesn't usually buy happiness; and when it does, the nature of humanity and the predatory universe will usually find a way to worm back in the sad. True enlightenment and ability to always be positive is not an easy thing to accomplish.

Jesus! I can't believe this! I listen to some Soundgarden just about every day of my life; when Badmotorfinger came out, it was at a stage when I was really starting to get 'inside' music, and that album had an enormous effect on me. Still does.

And does anyone doubt this guy still had some kick ass music in him? The SG 'comeback' album didn't make many waves but it was an extremely powerful, dynamic slice of music.

Shit. Just SHIT.

Sympathy is directed at those left from somebody's passing, it doesn't matter their wealth or backstory. That's what tears at funerals are about, and why compassionate people offer condolences, etc.

I don't believe he was a heroine addict; as far as I can tell, he'd only had two wives - pretty modest for a rock star.

Now some have suggested he was a HEROIN addict, but I can't find any evidence supporting that. Booze and pills, yes, but nothing about heroin.

As for sympathy, I do have a degree of sympathy for anyone who kills themselves - I just can't imagine the pain that would drive someone to make that decision. The fact that he was a millionaire only drives home the fact that money isn't a magic cure for depression.

Still, if you're really looking for a reason to lambaste a guy who just offed himself, you could point out that he's robbed three children of their father. That's a valid criticism in my book.

Then again, as someone has already pointed out...maybe this isn't the time or place to be disparaging the guy.

I don't believe he was a heroine addict; as far as I can tell, he'd only had two wives - pretty modest for a rock star.

Now some have suggested he was a HEROIN addict, but I can't find any evidence supporting that. Booze and pills, yes, but nothing about heroin.

As for sympathy, I do have a degree of sympathy for anyone who kills themselves - I just can't imagine the pain that would drive someone to make that decision. The fact that he was a millionaire only drives home the fact that money isn't a magic cure for depression.

Still, if you're really looking for a reason to lambaste a guy who just offed himself, you could point out that he's robbed three children of their father. That's a valid criticism in my book.

Then again, as someone has already pointed out...maybe this isn't the time or place to be disparaging the guy.

Nice work on the misspelling.

I'd like to think I'm not "heartless" enough to have started the topic, but I am still enough of a jerk to chime in ...

You make valid points, but the reason I tend to lose all sadness over suicides is I think romanticizing it encourages it. Just like alcoholism. Tom Waits has spoken very intelligently about the 'romantic alcoholic' image and how destructive it is. I think the 'romantic suicide' myth is pretty much the same.

Maybe some of my viewpoint comes from fear, as well. Most of us have experienced depression. Seeing people take depression all the way to killing themselves is kind of scary, particularly when those people (from the outside) have a much better and more fulfilling life and list of accomplishments than most of us.

I don't think any of that takes away from who Cornell was or what he accomplished. It's just how different people react to the way he died.

IIRC, he was a self described 'pioneer' in the world of oxycontin addiction, and had been through rehab twice. I honestly don't make a distinction between heroin and its synthetic prescription variants.

Don't get me wrong, I love his music, but like you, I think someone has to be a special piece-of-shit to off yourself when you have kids. I felt the same about Cobain.

Worth mentioning... I went to a funeral on Monday of a writer that I worked with who committed suicide and left her kids holding the bag. A also had a guitar mentor who did the same a couple of decades ago. Every time this happens, and it happens a lot, I find myself struggling to defend someone that just F'd over everyone that they knew.

Back