Chop of the week

Dremzy

Hey guys

I have just graduated from the Institute of Contemporary music in London last year.

I have opened my own teaching website www.learn-2-drum.co.uk, where i have introduced a new feature called CHOP OF THE WEEK.

Here we will be demonstrating a weekly advanced drum fill also known to many drummers as a “Chop”.

We have found through trailing the internet, many fantastic drummers playing great chops however there isn’t a place where you can get a clear break down of someone’s chops and have it displayed in a music score for all to understand.

HERE Each excerpt will be played at a full tempo and then subsequently slowed down.

For educational purposes i will also enclose a a .PDF file (link provided) of the fully transcribed Chop.

We look to expand this section and hope to get some great UK Session drummers to participate in breaking down some of their favourite chops so we can bask in the learning!

The chop of the week can also be found on my youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/Dremzy/videos

Any of you guys who want to add to this database of chops let me know and lets spread the word !!! if this can even help 10 people around the world learn some new and interesting fills i'll be happy :)

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I've watched the chop no 4 on youtube. What bothers me is the video is barely long
enough for the fill to even resolve on 1. And this goes for all three parts, including
the slowed down version.

A fill creates tension, it leads somewhere, mostly its purpose is to lead from one
musical section to another, or into a repetition, so what comes after the fill (at least
one full bar) is as important to me as the fill itself. And I don't mean the question
whether it's gonna be the same groove or not, but the music should go on after
the fill, and IMO so should it in a fill demonstration.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
I have to agree with the above. While you're clearly a talented drummer, and I admire the intentions behind this, I think the execution of the video is really quite poor. It cuts to a nasty slow mo before the fill is even finished; there's no explanation, and no context.

May I suggest micing your drums properly, rather than using the camera mic. I mean this to be constructive, as you have a very high quality intro to the video, but let down by the actual drumming part.

As I've said, I hope this is taken as constructive.

David Floegel

Silver Member
Liked the fill - it's pretty cool but I would have liked it more if you would have played the fill slower instead of using slowmotion :)

Anduin

Pioneer Member
...drum fill also known to many drummers as a “Chop”.
Really? In the many years I’ve played and talked shop with drummers, I have never ever heard of “a chop.”

In karate or pork, sure. But in drumming I’ve only ever heard of “chops.”

So “a chop” might be normal terminology in your ‘hood, but it might get the international crowd scratching their heads a bit. Meaning that the term is a bit distracting, as you can tell from me talking about your wording instead your drumming.

AndyMC

I like the idea but as others have said execution needs a little polishing. I would first show the fill played in a groove, then talk about it, sticking, timing etc. Then show it played VERY slowly build up in speed to max then back down to as slowly as possible. Then go over other way to use the fill. Also clean up your sound a bit, and consider less tape/moongel it works but has a somewhat unprofessional appearance, one square per drum should be more than enough.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Really? In the many years I’ve played and talked shop with drummers, I have never ever heard of “a chop.”

In karate or pork, sure. But in drumming I’ve only ever heard of “chops.”

So “a chop” might be normal terminology in your ‘hood, but it might get the international crowd scratching their heads a bit. Meaning that the term is a bit distracting, as you can tell from me talking about your wording instead your drumming.

it's pretty common to call something like this a "chop"

some say "lick" some say "chop" you could say "fill" ....but a "chop" would tend to be a faster more complex fill

pretty standard terminology in the Gospel, R&B, and fusion circles

it may stem from the term "chops" but it refers to a specific combination and voicing

A

Anthony Amodeo

I like the idea but as others have said execution needs a little polishing. I would first show the fill played in a groove, then talk about it, sticking, timing etc. Then show it played VERY slowly build up in speed to max then back down to as slowly as possible. Then go over other way to use the fill. Also clean up your sound a bit, and consider less tape/moongel it works but has a somewhat unprofessional appearance, one square per drum should be more than enough.
why not just check out the PDF, break it down yourself then apply it how you wish?

not sure why some need their hand held through things like this

..and did you really just refer to the appearance of his drum heads as unprofessional ?

.....you can't be serious

Guillermo

I commend you on your effort... stay positive and overall, be receptive to keep improving both yyour iniciative and your craft!, good luck to you!

Dremzy

Hey guys !!

Honestly this has been great response!!

Yeah i admit my website www.learn-2-drum.co.uk and all the media is slowly coming together i'm trying to expand it more and very frustrated not being able to get a proper mic to talk about my chops or grooves or lessons.

I have just invested in a proper mic , so please do subscribe and you will see the quality of videos and everything slowly improve!

I have put two videos of me playing to Tinchy Stryder and Beyonce on my channel as well would appreciate for you to check it out.

I am gonna take all your guys comments on-board for my next chop of the week. I admit in chop of the week 3 it is a lot better in terms of number 4 ! just seems to go from fast to slow and some editing issues.!!

In terms of breaking down yeah check out the .PDF these are more for drummers who can just grab the .PDF and want to add a few licks to their arsenal. However i will try to expand it more, break down the chop more and speak as well.

Thanks for your comments,

Dejaar Fard

www.learn-2-drum.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dremzy/videos

Dremzy

In terms of my sound ! all my drums normally have one moon gel on it ! and in real life my kit sounds Killa'! I accidentally had two on the floor tom simply cause i forgot to take it off :)

Dremzy

My chop of the week is in quite a systemic way.

It is all viewable at www.learn-drum.co.uk where you can watch it fast and slow motion and played in a groove and download the free .pdf. The reason it's not broken down too much is due to it being for slightly more advance players as for beginners learning some of these fills is very inappropriate.

If anyone else got any additions they think i should make or comments on my playing feel free , as i am looking to expand this to a great resource for all u.k and around the world drummers, i know out of all instruments we are the guys to help each other out the most!

davidr

I don't see a problem with having the fill as a pdf with the video demonstrating it. If you can read the music I don't see why it's so important to have the fill broken down in the video. In principle, this approach is good. The few issues with the videos are easy to fix.

Nick G.

cool stuff,
few comments:
didn't like that i could only really see your back :p, i've looked at your other videos and see the view is much better so guess thats fixed :D
that slow-motion thing, as mentioned before is not helpful, just play the chop slower, the audio quality is ruined once its slowed down by that much

other than that, quite liked it, maybe a brief explanation would have cool though

couple of tips for the website though, try not to use the, what seems to be, the camera from a phone for the main photo or any of the photos (if there are any more of that quality)
and the navigation bar doesn't really match up at the top, could just be neatened up

other than that, love the website idea, could be really useful

Dremzy

Hey guys,

I thoguht a lot about what you guys said and i really do enjoy showing my drumming but obviously i want to give a good platform so i:

1) Bought a USBmixer/audio interface
2) Bought some mics
3) Improved the way i structure the lessons!

And it should all be up and running within the next week :D

I am gonna be uploading more chop of the week's and also some drum lessons.

any u.k drummers head to www.learn-2-drum.co.uk I will have free online lessons :) Also Skype lessons and i teach at my home studio in London if your interested.

Thanks for the help guys ! i hope you keep checking out my youtube channel

Dejaar Fard

www.learn-2-drum.co.uk

www.youtube.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dremzy/videos

Otto

Platinum Member
Its a great start!

May I suggest augmenting your presentation with a "Musical Moment" section....a demonstration of something hard to hear for its mastery in enhancing the overall effect of a song?...