Choosing a Used kit: best value? ($1000 budget)

TK-421

Not gonna say anything...
If only everything I owned were 18" :)

They look the same size to me, too.
Glad I'm apparently not crazy!

Wow!! Gorgeous!!! Buy these!!
Ask Darth about shipping, I would for the price it's going for!

That's a lot of kit for the money.
I'm inclined to agree, fantastic kit for the price! If you can get it shipped to you for a reasonable enough amount to where you can still get a nice ride and a crash for your budget, I'd seriously give these some consideration. I've played several Saturn Vs, and they really do sound great.

That said, given your $1600 budget, here's what I would do.

1) Buy a used Zildjian K ride (or equivalent) for about $250-300
2) Buy a good used 18" K (or equivalent) crash for about $175-200

Since you said you're good on hi hats, this would give you a good basic cymbal setup you can expand on over time.

3) Buy a good used snare for about $200-300. There are a ton of options in that price range. I would personally look for a 14" COB or maple snare in a depth of 5.5-6.5".
4) If you need any hardware, buy that next. But you didn't mention anything about that, so I'll assume you're good on that front.

That leaves you with about $800-975 of your original budget (assuming you don't need hardware). Which means you'd have to go over a little to get those Saturns. But that still leaves plenty of other options open for a good used shell pack.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
What are the chances that the photo is an 18" deep drum, because it was easier as they had photos already? (You both may be right)

I didn't even know they made Saturns in less than an 18" depth. This must be a new development because they are listing a 20 x 14 which I didn't think was available in Saturns at all. At least a few years ago they weren't. Unless I'm mistaken.

Hoigle

Without hesitation I would get a used Renown. It's by far the best quality and best sounding kit for the price IMO.

You can't go wrong with a Saturn kit though, they're also nice, but I prefer the sound of the Renowns. Pure tone and amazing resonance.

A used Stage Custom for $400 is also a good option, like others have said. (If it's the newer model, that is).
The Saturns look nice, but until I've tried one, I won't be ordering one. I have a fickle ear, so I'll be trying everything I can before deciding. I've also realized I prefer having multiple rack toms, rather than 2 floor toms.

The Renowns look nice, and can be had for $750, so hopefully I'll get a chance to try one. Yesterday I tried a Premier Genista with Emperor Black heads. It was decent, but not great. I also tried an older Stage Custom, which did not impress. Hopefully I'll see a newer one with better heads.
I tried some great Ludwig Keystone X toms, but too expensive and wrong configuration.

A friend has loaned me a Pearl Signature Snare (collecting dust), so I'll start with that, with an eye to upgrade later. I'm covered for hardware.
I'm getting better at tuning toms...

Darth Vater

What are the chances that the photo is an 18" deep drum, because it was easier as they had photos already? (You both may be right)

I didn't even know they made Saturns in less than an 18" depth. This must be a new development because they are listing a 20 x 14 which I didn't think was available in Saturns at all. At least a few years ago they weren't. Unless I'm mistaken.
The shorter bass drums came out with the Saturn V Tour line.

mikyok

Platinum Member
It's only the tour series that has the proper depth bass drums, that's why I got one.

The 20x14 is just amazing!

Mustion

I'm a little wary about buying drums used because it's just harder to suss out any issues when you go to check them out. Although the overall appearance does tend to be a good indicator of abuse.

That said, without question if I had to buy a new drum set today it would be the Yamaha Stage Custom. $650 for that is such a steal.

Remember you will also need a set of hardware--that's $250 more if you want the matching Yamaha set (which is totally worth it)

You can get by for now with the snare that comes with that kit which is serviceable until you figure out your likes. Same with the pedal that comes with the hardware set (it's not junk by any stretch but it's pretty bare-bones and light weight)

As for cymbals, DO buy used! Zildjian As or Sabian AAs are a good way to go if you've got money to spend. Otherwise Sabian XS20s are totally fine for now...

donzo74

I'll throw in another vote for the latest model Stage Customs. I've purchased two of these recently in the 10,12,16,22 shell pack config with matching snare and they are very well made and sound great. I got this kit in Honey Amber for the youth at church and the deal was so good I that I ordered a set for myself in Natural Wood finish as a practice kit for the house. Sam Ash was running a 12% off coupon over July 4th so pre-tax it was under $600 with free delivery. Both kits showed up undamaged at unboxing. I went with Evans EC2 clears on the toms for the church set and coated G2's on my kit. Both sound great, especially the BD (punchy) and floor toms (very full and resonant) and the upgraded 10 lug snare sounds very nice. I bought this as a practice kit for the kickin' it around the crib but I would have no problem taking these tubs to any gig. They look and sound great! Fantastic value, IMO.

As others have said, spend the real dough on quality hardware, pedals, a nice, comfy throne and, above all, great sounding cymbals. Bad sounding cymbals are one of the worst things you can inflict upon you or your audience's ears and the sound ain't gonna improve over time.