Choice between yamaha and mapex snare

hey guys, hope all is well.
i am torn between 2 snare drums:
-yamaha 13x6.5 maple in amber burst
-mapex 13x7 blaster
both sound awesome.
unfortunately i dont have a chance to test them in person so i have to rely on the demos i see and hear around.
your help would be much appreciated.
which of the two is better built?
thanks.

I do not think anyone can say with any certainty which one is built better as they are both rock solid companies.

Depends on what your looking for as well, the blaster is maple with walnut rings and the Yamaha although you do not mention the model looks to be straight maple. I really do not think you can go wrong wither way to be honest.

thanks for the answers guys!
yeah yamaha is straight up maple.
900$ MSRP in US???!!! that is just crazy.
it goes for 380$ brand new here.

They will both be good quality, it's not really grounds for comparison.

I own a maple absolute snare and 2 different black panther snares, the sonic saver hoops on the mapex are probably my favourite but the yamaha is a classier looking drum with those lugs, that's for sure. I would argue that the throw off on the mapex is nicer and it doesn't stick into your leg if you don't position it right near your leg.

I'd get the mapex because it's probably a fraction of the price.

Have you looked at the nomad? I would choose that over both of these drums.

They will both be good quality, it's not really grounds for comparison.

I own a maple absolute snare and 2 different black panther snares, the sonic saver hoops on the mapex are probably my favourite but the yamaha is a classier looking drum with those lugs, that's for sure. I would argue that the throw off on the mapex is nicer and it doesn't stick into your leg if you don't position it right near your leg.

I'd get the mapex because it's probably a fraction of the price.

Have you looked at the nomad? I would choose that over both of these drums.

I do actually have the nomad! love that drum. my local craftsman made a pair of indian oak wood hoops for my nomad and i love it to pieces.
pricewise both of the snares are the same price here for me.

In terms of sonic qualities ,probably a wash.
In terms of holding value over the years ,it's the Yamaha.

hmmmmm Not sure about that one.

Mapex ,though a famous brand, has no where near name recognition of Yamaha.

With that comes a premium price point and better residual value over the years.

I bought a top of the line Mapex Brass Master for $149 bucks used.
The same type Yammie is probably about 50% more in that used price range.

Same with DW ,Ludwig and Sonor.

There's a reason why they pay Weckl and Gadd big bucks for endorsements.

Mapex ,though a famous brand, has no where near name recognition of Yamaha.

With that comes a premium price point and better residual value over the years.

I bought a top of the line Mapex Brass Master for $149 bucks used.
The same type Yammie is probably about 50% more in that used price range.

Same with DW ,Ludwig and Sonor.

There's a reason why they pay Weckl and Gadd big bucks for endorsements.

and that takes me back to the main question as to is this particular yamaha better than this particular mapex or am i paying just for the name? I mean yamaha is built great from what i read and the whole package is just great. but mapex is right up there as well (or at least i think so). Once again i'm strictly talking about the 2 snare drums i am originally torn between.

and that takes me back to the main question as to is this particular yamaha better than this particular mapex or am i paying just for the name? I mean yamaha is built great from what i read and the whole package is just great. but mapex is right up there as well (or at least i think so). Once again i'm strictly talking about the 2 snare drums i am originally torn between.

Unless you can play them,all you can go by is rep.
Yammie has a higher rep.
If they are both in the same price range and have close hardware spec's (die cast hoops),I would do the Yammie.
I know that i could probably sell it at close to what I paid for it if I got bored of it.
I own a Yammie sensitive and a Mapex brass master and I can easily sell the Yammie for a $100 bucks more.

Unless you can play them,all you can go by is rep.
Yammie has a higher rep.
If they are both in the same price range and have close hardware spec's (die cast hoops),I would do the Yammie.
I know that i could probably sell it at close to what I paid for it if I got bored of it.
I own a Yammie sensitive and a Mapex brass master and I can easily sell the Yammie for a $100 bucks more.

Which of the sensitives have you got?
How do you like it?

I agree with that, people still scoff at the Mapex name, but then it kind of levels out because you usually pay less for a mapex in the beginning, especially if you get a used one.

Back