Chinese or a Ozone???

piperdoog

Silver Member
Which do you prefer,
Sabian Paragon 19' china
Sabian hhx 18 Ozone.
Both have different characteristics however given the choice of a china or an ozone which do you prefer?

alparrott

Platinum Member
Depends on the situation. I love chinas, I love ozones. I think ozones are slightly more versatile, but it really depends on what you're playing.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I'm not a huge fan of china's. I like them more when other people play them, but they're easy to over-use. But I do like trashy sounds and I love this new vented cymbal craze. I have a Zildjian EFX that sounds mighty cool. I like the HHX/AAX O-Zones, too. Only problem is that Zildjian and Sabian make them from extra thin cymbals that seem to break prematurely.

If it was between a china and O-Zone, I'd take the O-Zone. But I'd first take a look at the new AAX Aero Crashes. They're based on the Xplosion Crash and instead of 8 large holes, they drill a couple dozen smaller holes. I was just playing one today at a drum shop. Still trashy but with better projection and more heft. Really cool cymbals.

I'd do the Aero Crash, myself.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
They're completely different in character. It's difficult to compare an Ozone and a China.

Ozones tend to have a longer decay than Chinas, and Chinas tend to be more trashy. Which one you choose would have to be based on the application.

A

audiotech

Between the two, I'm more in favor of the Sabian Ozone. In my opinion it just fits more applications than what the China cymbals do.

Dennis

csnow

Ozone without a doubt. I am so sick of china cymbals. I have never really cared for them much but they were are nice for an occasional accent. However, I have grown to hate them with the recent popularity of kids bashing them while doing double bass blasts.

piperdoog

Silver Member
Ozone without a doubt. I am so sick of china cymbals. I have never really cared for them much but they were are nice for an occasional accent. However, I have grown to hate them with the recent popularity of kids bashing them while doing double bass blasts.
Haha I hear ya, that blast beat stuff drives me nuts... More maybe because I can't do it well, but more so because I think it sounds horrible..
Looking into both, and would actually love to have both...

MikeM

Platinum Member
Since I posted yesterday about the Aero Crashes, I stopped by another drum shop that had a kit set up with 18" and 20" Aero Crashes set up. I got to bash on those for a while. I think those cymbals are really cool.

piperdoog

Silver Member
Since I posted yesterday about the Aero Crashes, I stopped by another drum shop that had a kit set up with 18" and 20" Aero Crashes set up. I got to bash on those for a while. I think those cymbals are really cool.
Just ordered the 18'

piperdoog

Silver Member
Awesome! I'm sure you won't be disappointed ... er, well, at least I wouldn't be! Very cool.
Yeah thanks man, I think it will be a nice balance, the chinese, I don't know, just isn't for me. Loud and harsh with no musical tone IMO. I hear them live and I don't mind them, but they are harsh for the type of music I play.
I'll post after I get it.

bamdrummer

An ozone would be more vesatile, it wont be as trashy as a china, but u could always add some small chain through the holes to shorten the decay and make it trashier. or you u could use a cheap splash and make a stack for the trashier sound. IMO china's are sometimes one trick ponies, but u can use an ozone in tons of genres, same for the zildjian efx crashes.

kettles

Gold Member
China cymbals used to be cool. Until everyone bought one and used it ALL THE TIME.

Get an Ozone before people ruin that sound as well. I have heard the 20" AAX Ozone and it's really nice. I'm sure the HHX is great as well.

piperdoog

Silver Member
Ok gang, the Aero crash is here, I'm taking it to the studio today for a run around, I did bash away for a bit it the basement and it's awesome. All the reviews being players choice and all the big wigs in the drumming world saying they are awesome. I took a chance in buying it as the store didn't have one but was so sick of my china, so loud and harsh etc.
I am a huge fan of the AAX xplosion fast crash and it is somewhat like that with a ozone feel and sound. Great as a crash and great for accent hits. It's a very musical sound (if that makes sense) not brash like a china. I like the response and the quick decay.
I highly recommend this cymbal, plus the rebate if you buy one Sabian will give you a 14' aax xplosion crash as well. I went with the 18' and love it.
Sabian is a great company for doing the rebate as well, very cool they are giving a little back, great product and super service...
Go get one and dump that overbearing china...

Thanks for all the insight on your experience lads, I love this forum it helps you make informed decisions...

Cheers

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
I always thought Ozone Chinas sounded nice.

I like Chinas but some of them ring too long for me, that's too much for a trash cymbal. So I bought a cracked one, and it works great. Less sustain, less pain on the ears. All chinas will sound painful after a loud smack and ring.

I kinda do want an Ozone splash though!