China Cymbal: Cup, Bell, or Inverted Bell?

Is there any reason one would choose one over the others?

For this thread:

Cup:
20200808_171846.jpg

Bell:
20200808_171817.jpg

Inverted Bell:
20200808_171747.jpg

I've not had an inverted bell China yet. Looks cool, but I dont use Chinas for anything more than trash. And no I'm not looking to buy, just curious.

If for no other reason than authenticity, I would go with the squared off cup designs that are offered. This contributes to the intended trashy sounds of a Chinese cymbal we have come to love. Historically, that squared off bell, was intended to be a handle of sorts for marching soldiers to hold onto while playing them into battle. The other varieties you show, above, provide a more refined sound, especially the Paiste Novo China. That was designed so drummers, in part, could have access to the Bell, and still play the cymbal right side up. It's all a question of taste, and what sounds you're looking to produce. Also, a lot of modern manufacturers go with a standard round cup, so readily seen on Western style cymbals, because they're easier to produce. Armand Zildjian, stated so in an interview when asked about the making of the China Boy cymbal line, and how difficult it was for them to manufacture a square cup. Isn't it great being a drummer?! Interesting post.

I think the inverted bell gives the china a different tone. I'd imagine there is more "stress/tension" in those types of chinas due to their shape, which would change their sound.
All of my big chinas have a bell and my Wuhan has a cup, so I can't really do a fair comparison due to the Wuhan is only 12", and the big chinas are 18" & 20".
I'd like to check out an inverted bell china in person.

I like the sound of the inverted bell. In my opinion, they can be used at low volume to contrast things with an interesting accent, not necessarily to trash like crazy. I think there is something pleasant to appreciate with these cymbals.

Often in softer music, just a light hit, to get a quality special effect.. That's how I see these cymbals, special effects.

I associate the Chinese cup-style bell with much shorter decay, more of a bark than a woosh. The round Turkish-style bell seems to promote sustain and a smoother sound. I've never played a Novo-China but I'd imagine it would sound much more like the cymbals with the inverted Turkish-style bell.

I had a Wuhan China cymbal, and I just never liked the extremely short decay. My China type sounds come from a couple of Zildjian Swish cymbals with 8 rivets. There's definitely nothing quick about those at all but it's a fun sound to be sure.

In terms of sheer cosmetics, I like the cup. I should reveal, however, that I don't do Chinas or other trash cymbals. I simply have no use for them in the music I play.

One of the greatest joys of drumming is a well placed china accent. As for the bell type, all that matters to me is the overall sound.

One of the greatest joys of drumming is a well placed china accent. As for the bell type, all that matters to me is the overall sound.

A lot of drummers share your view, and I agree that a China can be enlisted subtly and tastefully in certain applications. I just wouldn't use one enough to justify incorporating it into my setup. In fact, I no longer own effects cymbals of any sort, not even splashes. I have a hi-hat, a ride, and three thin crashes. Straightforward sonic simplicity defines my cymbal identity.

I detest china cymbals for the most part. Had a 14" Dream with inverted bell that was outstanding. Quick with a fast shimmering sound. For some reason I sold it and regret it to this day. I really hate those "cup" style Chinas and Wuhan specifically. They all sound like those galvanized trash can lids. Which brings me to...."Who decided the sound of a garbage can lid was musical? Much less essential?"

Having and having had a couple of chinas... i actually don't care that much about the bell. Had a Wuhan china and sounded great! Had a Paiste 802 18" China which had a 'bell' that was more like those crystal crashes. Believe my Zildjian 18" A China Low also has a flatter bell just like my 16" Oriental. I like the sound of a china with the bell side up more. Gives a more trashy and fuller sound. Also sound great as a ride source, but like many other i flip it so spare the edge from cracking and it's also bad for my sticks.

I also have the Paiste 2002 20" Novo China. Haven't played the regular 2002 china so i can't compare, but do own a 18" 3000 reflector china with the same type of bell. The Novo is trashier and i like that it moves and swings like a crash and still has that nice china sound.

Compared to my other chinas i find the Novo more pleasing to the ear, but if you really want to compare it you need a couple of chinas from the same alloy with the different bells to notice the difference. Can't compare it because all my chinas are from different brands, alloys, sizes, finishes etc.

It all depends on what you are looking for. One thing to keep in mind is that the Wuhan style chinas are a real pain in the a** to carry around! They don't stack well with other cymbals. They also have extremely fast decay. Finally, they need a really good wallop to get any sound from them (it's hard to play them soft or with a light touch, because they don't really sound like anything when struck softly).

It all depends on what you are looking for. One thing to keep in mind is that the Wuhan style chinas are a real pain in the a** to carry around! They don't stack well with other cymbals. They also have extremely fast decay. Finally, they need a really good wallop to get any sound from them (it's hard to play them soft or with a light touch, because they don't really sound like anything when struck softly).

I tried an intersting K china with a good response to a light touch a couple of days ago, I immediately liked it.

I think it depends on your sound desire. Straight china punch: China.
Stack or inverted stack (like a Thomas Lang Super Stack): Go with the standard or inverted bell.

All are good!

I like cups for authentic Chinese China cymbals, and bells for made-in-the-West swish cymbals. I don't really like the inverted bell aesthetics all that much.
In the past, "China" cymbals (called "nao" or "bo") are played in, well, China like a pair of orchestral cymbals, but instead of belts you could just grab the "cup". I think with a "nao" you grab the cup whereas with a "bo" you grab the belts. I think the drumset cymbal (called "cha") is based on a "nao", because "bo"'s tend to be much smaller, with very exaggeratedly huge bells (like, half the diameter of the entire cymbal!).

I have a Paiste Sound Formula 16” China with a flat cup, and a Paiste 22” ME 602 China with a small bell. Aside from loudness and decay (the ME 602 is louder with a longer decay) the difference I hear is more dissonance & trash from the cup style, and more musical ride-like (eg., swish) from the bell style.

Back