China cybals

synergy

I see a lot of pro drummers using china's on their kits and I just wondered if anyone out there uses one and the reason why you use it instead of a crash?

I have never really liked their sound individually- I admit I havent heard one in the context of a whole kit to really tell the difference...

I ask because I see them thrown in a lot in lower end cymbal packs- and that type of thing is usually a red flag for me for those types of things...

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Quite simply - because it gives you a different accent sound than a crash would. I love having a china on my kit to throw in a different texture here and there, while groovin'. You can also do fun things to experiment with your sound, like hitting a crash simultaneously or as part of a phrase where you crash just before hitting the china...and so on.

joosti

I hear mostly metal drummers use them together with double bass and it does add another kind of tone.
The reason why they're in starter packs could be that it's easier to get a trashy sound then a nice crash sound.

maddrummr

Platinum Member
China cymbals add some color and a different texture/tone to your kit. Some people like it...others don't. And then there's those guys who put rivets in them...

synergy

Re: China cymbals

I just havent had that much experience my with them so that's why I asked.

I am also a little sceptical of things that are given free... What's the addage- Nothing good in life is free?

That has always made me stop and think if I really wanted one and also they seem to be all over the used gear adds- everytime I look there is someone selling a china.

though come to think of it they are usually Ziljian ZBT's etc and not A Customs or Paiste 2002's!!!!!

R

Royal

I see a lot of pro drummers using china's on their kits and I just wondered if anyone out there uses one and the reason why you use it instead of a crash?
QUOTE]

They are "faster" than a crash.

Daphfz

Why dont u go to a drum store and try one out? maybe take in ur Bass drum and snare n try it out with it or use a store display kit lol

Tom Sawyer

A china with a fast decay, like most, is also nice because you can play it continuously; you can ride it. Makes a different wall of sound than riding a crash or a ride.

Cymbalrider

Pioneer Member
I don't like small china cymbals, but I do love my 22" Swish. China cymbals are one of those things that you never really think to use until you have one sitting there. Drummers have been finding use for them on sets for over 60 years, I'm sure you'll find one. I like the Zildjian 22" Swish, 19" K China, Sabian HHX China, and the Zildjian oriental series myself. If you need a cheap one go for Sabian XS20 or a used one. (Wuhans are a gamble, sometimes they sound nice, others not). The sheet bronze china cymbals sound terrible (and not in a good way).

TenPastTen

Silver Member
The china sound is truly an accent as I've heard of exactly zero drummers that use chinas without using crashes in his setup. The sound is trashy and thin sounding with a very quick decay.

I'm sure you've heard them more than you may realize. Here is recent and prominent example. It's the only cymbal played at the intro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDejLrzSPHA

synergy

I have tried them like I mentioned in my original post- I have only heard them on their own and not within the context of a song and in conjunction with other cymbals etc.

My other point was that they seem to be given away with cymbal packs. That point on its own has made me weary in the past.

I currently used a late 80's Paiste 3000 ride that can get high in pitch if I wash it out.

I plan to get a K ride for a darker dryer sound that I want- maybe I will look into a china to replace that sound I will lose when I switch.

I saw in previous posts people mentioned Sabian- Are there any models and should look at and more importantly should avoid?

I must admit I dont know a whole lot about Sabian cymbals- I just always seem to be drawn to Paiste and Ziljian- I am missing something?

scarlit

Silver Member
i've been a fan of the china for a long time myself. i play hard rock/alternative for the most part
and as far as chinas being thrown into cheap cymbal packs, surely you realize that not all chinas are created equal. there are many out there of all kinds of sizes and they can really add color to your playing. thats how i feel at least.
currently i am using an 18" sabian sonix chinese. i am a really big fan of the AA chinas as well

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I use a Zildjian A China High and I only like it as an off beat accent with medium to loud music. I never seem to get a quiet sound out of that cymbal that I like.. ..however, my favorite trashy sound is the ZXT Trashformer. Quick, trashy and sounds great quiet or loud.

Really a cool cymbal for $60.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
The china sound is truly an accent as I've heard of exactly zero drummers that use chinas without using crashes in his setup.
Terry Bozzio has all chinas and bells, no crashes. Of course, he's not exactly your regular backbeat drummer

I like my china, but it definitely doesn't replace a crash (of which I have two, along with a very crash-friendly ride cymbal and a splash). I mostly use it for accents (often along with my snare), as a leadup to a crash hit, or together with a crash for added noise :)

They also add a completely different riding sound when compared to rides and hihats, but it doesn't work with everything. I very rarely ride my china, but in some contexts it does work quite effectively.

pearl_floyd

If your looking for sabian go with the 19" paragon, in my opinion it's the perfect china. It can be a little expensive but I got mine used for $90.

drumguyfromWI

If your looking for sabian go with the 19" paragon, in my opinion it's the perfect china. It can be a little expensive but I got mine used for $90.
yeah, the 19" Paragon Chinese is amazing! for some reason, it sounds much better than the 20" Paragon Chinese.

my other favorite Sabian chinese is the 19" AAXtreme.

kwolf68

I don't like them that much, but I do have a Zildjian A Custom EFX cymbal...it's a cymbal with the quarter sized holes all over it and it gives a trashy sound. You don't have to invert it on the stand either.