Chicago Drum Show - Best of Show

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Great report Tommy. Thanks so much for letting us in on this. I really enjoy your posts, only because I agree with damn near everything you say :) If you say they're standouts, that's good enough for me.
Thanks, Larry. That's very nice to hear coming from you.

These drums really were stand outs. Not just because they use their own custom hardware, but because you could tell by talking with Josh that he has put a lot of thought in to all aspects of the drums. From the hardware design, to the shell configuration, to the heads used, etc. It wasn't just some guy slapping together stock parts on an off the shelf shell. That is something I would do...

Mendozart, the JM kit was great and you guys do build a really unique shell. The final look of your kits is very unique as well. They would look amazing with some white LEDs in them to light up the translucent shells. Yeah, I know its a flashy thing, but your shells have that unique quality where they can glow and really have the color pop.

indedrum

I'm guessing a laser cut blank and formed in a die or brake press..?
Nothing wrong with that! Tried-n-True.

Much less expensive than a casting, and the generous form radius will allow a long life with very little stress build up.

Very nice drums, friend! Congratulations on a successful launch and all the good press.
I am not sure if you are asking about the lugs or tom brackets? The lugs are die-cast, the tom bracket base is heat treated stamped spring steel.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I want to see if you come up with a bass drum tom mount system.

I recently got an Atlas Arch, and while it works good, it seems to be very heavy - maybe even over-engineered with a very high safety factor or something.

indedrum

I want to see if you come up with a bass drum tom mount system.

I recently got an Atlas Arch, and while it works good, it seems to be very heavy - maybe even over-engineered with a very high safety factor or something.
I have some ideas I am working on for a bass drum tom mount, but have not gotten very far in the design.

I agree that the Atlas Arch is a bit clunky and heavy, although it is one of the only options for mounting a tom on a bass without having to drill holes in it.

Like the rest of the Inde product line, whatever I come up with will be simple, light, compact and functional.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I am surprised that no one is bashing Inde for using their own Keller shell configuration when that seems to be the first negative comment thrown around when it comes to Gretsch.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I am surprised that no one is bashing Inde for using their own Keller shell configuration when that seems to be the first negative comment thrown around when it comes to Gretsch.
I think people had time to grow accustomed to Gretsch's Jasper legacy. In their minds, nothing will ever compete with what they know as 'the real Gretsch'. Inde carries no such legacy.

Most of the negative comments I see on the forum are about Keller+Worldmax based shops that market themselves as being something original.

I look at these Inde kits and see what the Signet105 should have been.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
I think people had time to grow accustomed to Gretsch's Jasper legacy. In their minds, nothing will ever compete with what they know as 'the real Gretsch'. Inde carries no such legacy.

Most of the negative comments I see on the forum are about Keller+Worldmax based shops that market themselves as being something original.

I look at these Inde kits and see what the Signet105 should have been.

Yeah, lets bash LUDWIG, the market has spoken on the SIGNETS.

KamaK is right, if INDE were to succeed as the years go on, and they're still getting spec shell's from KELLER, you'd prob then see some bashing for it.

Too Im sure INDE does not cast their lugs. Like a lot of other manufactures, where do you draw the line between order parts and in house manufacture?, or should we ask how many (which couple of) drum companies make 'all' their stuff in house?

Red Menace

Platinum Member
You're slowly turning into that angry man that brings every thread into a defensive DW thread.

I would take a set of these over some Gretschs any day of the week.,

Did I read that right, does he sell just the hardware? Is it a replacement for Ludwig stuff?

Red Menace

Platinum Member
They are only offering matte finishes and chrome hardware at this time in an effort to keep costs down so their drums are affordable to the public and not just the rich folk looking for a custom kit. A 3 piece kit (bass, rack tom, floor tom) is ~$1500.
Tommy mentioned price here.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I've never bashed Gretsch for outsourcing their shell manufacture, although I do think they've been less than celebratory in publicly standing behind their supply chain. Inde are a start up who're majoring on getting the design direction right. Investment needs to be targeted, especially in the formative years, & they've made hardware their primary initial focus. I think that's a smart move given the market position they're shooting for. As for Gretsch, just like many brands, they outsource pretty much everything except for finishing & assembly. I thought they would have outgrown that by now, & be onto something more interesting in house. They certainly have the brand strength & critical market mass to do so.

When we first fired up Guru, we invested equally in both a full innovative shell hardware program and in house shell manufacturing. Honestly, that was necessary to realise our design goals, but was financially a tougher call than is good for any small volume business, & something that I wouldn't advise anyone else to contemplate. I think Inde have it about right :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
To be clear. I'm not bashing Inde, on questioning those that bash Gretsch. I have no experience with Inde.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You're slowly turning into that angry man that brings every thread into a defensive DW thread.

I would take a set of these over some Gretschs any day of the week.,

Did I read that right, does he sell just the hardware? Is it a replacement for Ludwig stuff?
I'm not angry at all. Just inquisitive. Re-read my post. And I don't reply to every thread.

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
I have some ideas I am working on for a bass drum tom mount, but have not gotten very far in the design.

I agree that the Atlas Arch is a bit clunky and heavy, although it is one of the only options for mounting a tom on a bass without having to drill holes in it.

Like the rest of the Inde product line, whatever I come up with will be simple, light, compact and functional.
Don't get me wrong. I posted here when I first heard about it, that I thought the whole Atlas concept was pure genius, and it surprised me that no one had done it before.

I don't really have any complaints with it, other than I thought it could have been made a bit lighter.
I hope you do well with your new venture.

Mendozart

Platinum Member
Mendozart, the JM kit was great and you guys do build a really unique shell. The final look of your kits is very unique as well. They would look amazing with some white LEDs in them to light up the translucent shells. Yeah, I know its a flashy thing, but your shells have that unique quality where they can glow and really have the color pop.
I have a friend that installed some LED's in his Jenkins-Martin kit and it looks great! It's a natural green Blaemire color, but will take on like five different colors. Here's a snap shot off a video he posted.

Attachments