Checking out a used kit tomorrow. A little help ?

Do you have a set now? If not, would you buy that set just by itself if it wasn't part of a package deal, or would you rather look for a different set?
Do you think you would use those cymbals - 3 A crashes and one zbt? crash and one A ride. Or would you rather look for individual used cymbals that you'd be certain to use.
I don't think there's enough info about what you already have, and what else you'd be looking at other than this package deal to be able to be much help.
I was trying to keep it about the gear but reading you comments I get the point . And it has made me think more about my needs vs. my wants . I didn’t want to be so long winded about myself, but I see how a whole backstory might help . So here goes , ..... don’t fall asleep now.

Currently playing the same Franken-kit from my early teens . Drums....10,12, 70’s Ludwig chrome o wood concert toms paired with a 12,16,22 70’s pearl , wood-fiberglass 3 piece , 8,10,12 Roto toms ( not in use now , and yes ,
I was an 80’s mostly rock drummer lol !) and a1968 Ludwig supra. So basically yes , in need of a kit .
Cymbals are 1960’s 14” zildjian hats , 80’s zildjian 18” high China , Paiste 2000 sound reflections 16” thin crash ( they’re all in great shape), one Paiste before they were Paiste 20”ride ( not great but does the job ) and two unknown 16 and 18 crashes ( they just down right blow ),
Hardware ( mostly in great shape ) is ..... Ludwig snare stand , 3 pearl various boom stands ( like new and serve their purpose) a falling apart vintage Gretsch hh stand , various 80’s single kick pedals all of which work and are in great shape .
Believe it or not , with tuning and other tricks , I could ( back then , 78-98 ) get this kit and other gear I had back then to sound pretty damn good for rock, blues and various other stuff . I say above , 78-98 because that’s when I packed it up and put it away at age 32 . One child age2, wife pregnant with second , bought house, work work and more work ....on midnight to 8 shift , coming home and taking the kid handoff from the wife while she went to work her full time job ,.... many here know how it goes . I slept 4 to maybe 5 hours a day for 14 years doing this til they were all in school .The only drumming I did other than a jam here or there on friends kits was in the F.O.P ( fraternal order of police) bagpipe band since the early 90’s til present .
Kids are older ( youngest is 15 of 3 girls ) so I have some time to devote to what i have always loved . I’ve been shaking off the rust on this franken-kit for a little over a year now and it’s definitely helped and gotten me back to some semblance of my old self , but at this point it’s condition and sound is holding me back and makes it unenjoyable and not want to play ( I do it anyway to get the time and work in ) .
I play mostly rock, blues, and am enjoying some heavier ( various forms of metal ). But I enjoy and like playing most genres. I’d eventually like to play out and gig again as I’m now mostly retired . I’d like a decent intermediate kit . Used , as others on the forum have said its is the way to go . For me anyway.
Like some others here I enjoy a larger kit ( fun for me ). Ideally I’d like a 3 up 2 down , but not stuck on it depending what I find used .3 up, one down would work also . I like 3 racks I always have , I’d even do 4 but don’t need to. All depends on what I find out there . 8,10,12,14,16 ,14,22 works , but 10,12,13,14,16 or 16 18 Might be better . I’d like the ability to go big or small , depending on what or where I’m playing . But I wouldn’t pass up a great 5 piece ( 2 or 3 up and 1 or two down ) , but it’d have to be a steal of deal .snare not needed at this point as I can get by with my Supra for most everything , but no aversion to a kit that comes with one . I’m not stuck on any brands ... drums or cymbals , but am partial to and like sonor, Tama and pearl , zildjian or Sabian . I like a deeper fatter sound in the lower to mid tuning range . I looked at and liked and passed up on an 8 piece sonor ascent in 8, 10,12,14,16, 14 and 2x22. In hind sight I should have bought them , but it was the first set I had looked at since playing again , and first time dealing with the Craigslist crazies , and that deal fell through . There were a dozen or so since and for numerous reasons beyond my control
( Craigslist 🙄) they never worked out .

Budget wise I’d say around 1500 to 2k all in is where I’d like to be . But that’s not to say if I found a kit for 1500 to 1800 with some hardware and picked up cymbals I like going forward that I could t do that as the funds became available .

I think I’d be happy ( for a while ) with this pdp kit , and I know it doesn’t have to be the last kit I buy , but after dealing with this guy ( 🙄) and after some of the questions posed to me in this and writing this and thinking some more , I don’t think it’s for me in the long run . It wouldn’t be a bad purchase , but my desire to get into something better may have been driving this . I’m gonna keep looking and thinking, and researching . I’m a , ..... I’ll know it when I see it / hear it / play it kind of guy I guess . I COULD go on about more about myself but I’ll spare you the boredom .

Thanks to all the responses and thought provoking feed back . It’s helped tremendously 👍🏻

Bare with me guys . With your and the forums help . I’m sure I’ll be into something I like and fits my needs soon enough . Gonna go beat on the Franken-kit now for an hour or two 😩🤬🙄.......😂

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
....I’m gonna keep looking and thinking, and researching . I’m a , ..... I’ll know it when I see it / hear it / play it kind of guy I guess .....
That's what I was getting at. Given that you have a workable kit, it doesn't sound like there needs to be a real big rush.
Maybe it's not your ideal kit, but it's something to play while you're looking.
Like you say, keep mulling it over, and when the right thing comes along that you can get real excited about, you'll be ready for it.

That's what I was getting at. Given that you have a workable kit, it doesn't sound like there needs to be a real big rush.
Maybe it's not your ideal kit, but it's something to play while you're looking.
Like you say, keep mulling it over, and when the right thing comes along that you can get real excited about, you'll be ready for it.
You hit the nail on the head . I don’t think I’d regret getting this , but I don’t think I’d keep it long term . I have been looking for a while , about a year. I think I’m like most here . When your at a level that you can play decently, where people would enjoy it and you won’t make an ass out of yourself , you just reach a plateau with the gear you have and it doesn’t sound how you want it can detract from your playing and your enjoyment . There is a huge difference (and not just talking sound ) but my actual playing when I get on some friends kits , like my buddy’s star classic bb, another’s high end sonor ( forget what he’s got ) and a neighbors live oak kit . Even on my other friends vintage XPK’s I can hear and feel my playing is different. I’ll just have to hang in there a bit more . Thanks bill 👌🏻

Last edited:

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I think that would be a decent price on a 7-piece kit if you really, really want a 7-piece kit, but if you traditionally play something like a 4-5 piece, then I'd look elsewhere. I'd rather spend more on better-quality drums with fewer pieces than pay extra for drums you won't bother playing after having them home for the first week or two. Also, if you don't like the cymbals, you're going to have to do something with those (I, personally, am becoming less and less of a Zildjian fan as time moves on, but that's just me).

Overall, they are fine drums; however, unless you specifically want a 7-piece PDP set, I'd look elsewhere.
I hear you, but it’s nice to have a shell bank, unless you’re absolutely sure you’ll never ever need one. Just my opinion.