Check out this deal...should I go for it?

nicotine25

Musicians friend has a Gretsch Catalina Club Rock 24 13 16 18 14 for $499!!! NEW
thats almost half off the $849 price at guitar center for a scratch and dent!!!!!!
Theese are the drums I have actually been looking at for a while, although I was thinking about holding out and saving for a couple of years for a custom Mlasko set with a 26 13 16 14 for $2500.....although this deal seems to good to be true...what do you think?

check out musicians friend .com
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?N=100001+708458

bradmapex

i say that if your really going to get into drums save up and wait. because the last thing you wanna do is buy the Gretsch then a couple years down the road wanna move on up again but you'll have to save all over again

nicotine25

Well I currentally own a Gretsch catalina birch 7 pc with extras but I have been wanting to downsize (the ammount of drums not the size) anyway. I could probably get around 500-600 for them...I figure in a couple of years I could probably sell the gretsch rock's for about the same....so its an even trade...my current set for the rock's....and then upgrade in a few years....Im almost 30 so in a few years I will have the mony to get the customs anyway...I think im going to go for it.....

nicotine25

I have also been playing for about 20 years and my tastes and styles have matured...I went through the "I want to be neal pert" phase and wanted tons of drums...so now I play a four pc with 2 crashes, ride, and hats, but I have a closet full of drums and cymbals that I dont play... I like the way theese drums sound for the style I play, and I may even keep them as a gigging set when I get the customs....It just seemed like a deal too good to pass up

bradmapex

ya what your saying makes sence, and i didnt releaze you were 30 i thoght you were younger ahah my bad.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'd keep your current set, and keep on saving, and get your custom Mlasko when you get enough cash together. The Gretsch kit, not a bad kit, but not a great kit either. Hence $500 takes it.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I say buy them while you can and have fun. After all Harry's signature says...Tomorrow may never happen.

Last edited:

jondrumming

I see where you're coming from, but I don't really see the point in buying another Catalina. They're great kits, but if you're going to upgrade, you might as well upgrade, know what I'm saying? I think you should save the $500 (because that's $500 you're not going to have to accumulate again) and save awhile longer and go for some Renowns, Starclassic B/B's, or Mapex Saturns.

nicotine25

When and if I upgrade, it will be custom made....now that may take a few years. Also I would have built 26x14 13x9 and 16x16....with either a maple 6 ply (with re-enforcing rings) or vintage mahogany/poplar...I have not decided with which to go with as of yet. I thought that this gretsch would be a more appropriate fit to what I would be looking at in the future....Its not that I am upgrading now per say, but think of it as research and testing for a couple of years to see if my tastes in sizes and drum shell material will change (not that this gretsch and a custom set would sound anything alike, but I can see where my preception from the drivers seat might be similar). I cannot afford a custom set as of yet, but I am kinda burnt out on my current one...I got it for the wrong reasons (it had alot of pieces, and I thought it looked cool, I got bit with the "trendy fusion drums bug")... So I was thinking that this NEW gretsch would be a happy medium....something not to expensive, in the size range I would be looking for and with a similar shell material. Also it would give me a little more bang for my buck....and sure, it does look rad, but I am more interested in the warm, robust, and full sound as opposed to my poppy tight catalina birchs'....one of the only drawbacks is that has a 24 x 18 kick....if only that was a 24x16 or even better 24x14....that would be tits.....anyway Just looking for yall to talk me out of it....or into it....give me your honest opinions

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
I'd say go for it. It's a good price, near the sizes you're after and it'll inject some new excitement into your playing. If you're current kit isn't inspiring you, a couple of years of this isn't going to do your playing any good. Plus who doesn't love getting new drum stuff? :D