Cheap Pedal?

double bass man

Newbe to drums question.

Awhile ago I bought a cheap Hi-Hat stand with pedal. The pedal attaches to the stand with two bent rods.The two bent rods where the pedal attaches to the stand looks flimsy and not very secure--am I correct in thinking this? Is this the normal way to attach the pedal? What should I be looking for in a quality pedal--the way the pedal fixes to the stand and the quality of the pedal itself? Good makes to recommend?

I would attach photos but the photos were to big to attach.

I have several Tama model hi hat stands that attach that way (not sure the line, but they are "Swivo-matic" models with adjustable legs and adjustable tension). I have used other brands (Pearl, North) as well.

I have *never* had any issues with that design and have been using them since the late 70s.

You didn't mention what brand stand you have, so it is possible that if you have an "off" brand or a no name stand it may not be as dependable.

But any stand made by a major player (Tama, Yamaha, Pearl, DW, Gibraltar....etc. etc. etc.) should not be a problem.

The design in and of itself is fine. It's the execution of the design, that might not be all that good. I use Yamaha 600 and 700 series hi hat stands, and they use this design ..... and I've never had a problem with either.

The problem with cheap Hi-Hat stands is that often the holes for receiving the rods are too large (up to 2mm larger than the diameter of the rods). Then it wobbles all the time.

Never had issues with this kind of attachment. Since it needs way less power to operate the hihat pedal compared to a bass drum pedal, everything stays in position well.

I've had two tama stands with this feature. Both work great!

The problem with cheap Hi-Hat stands is that often the holes for receiving the rods are too large (up to 2mm larger than the diameter of the rods). Then it wobbles all the time.
I think generally the loose tolerances is what makes them cheaper and less usable. That goes for a lot of stuff.

For the most part hi hat and kick drum pedals have one of two things: the two rods like what you described, or a solid plate underneath. For kick drum pedals the solid plate is preferable but as mentioned before, a hi hat doesn't take as much force/stress so the rods are fine. In fact I think a solid plate on a hi hat is overkill and can make it more difficult to pack (although those rods also do like to snag on every stand as you remove the hi hat from the bag...)

I think a solid plate on a hi hat is overkill and can make it more difficult to pack (although those rods also do like to snag on every stand as you remove the hi hat from the bag...)
I'm with you on this one! I have a DW 5000 hi-hat stand with a solid plate, and for the club gigs I do, it's definitely overkill. Having to tighten and loosen the 4 drum-key bolts on the bottom every time you set up or tear down is a real pain, not to mention it's the heaviest item in my entire hardware bag. I recently switched back to my 10-year-old Yamaha 700 series hi hat stand, which has single-braced legs and a radius rod for the footboard instead of a solid plate, and I like it a lot! Granted, the response isn't *quite* as smooth and lightning-quick as the DW, but it still works great, especially since I keep it clean and well-oiled.

I'm with you on this one! I have a DW 5000 hi-hat stand with a solid plate, and for the club gigs I do, it's definitely overkill. Having to tighten and loosen the 4 drum-key bolts on the bottom every time you set up or tear down is a real pain, not to mention it's the heaviest item in my entire hardware bag. I recently switched back to my 10-year-old Yamaha 700 series hi hat stand, which has single-braced legs and a radius rod for the footboard instead of a solid plate, and I like it a lot! Granted, the response isn't *quite* as smooth and lightning-quick as the DW, but it still works great, especially since I keep it clean and well-oiled.

For years I was using a Tama Lever Glide which is a great hi hat to be sure, but that heavy pedal/baseplate could easily flop down and smack into your hand/arm/leg when packing/unpacking. I too recently switched to an all Yamaha hardware setup and the hi hat is more than adequate. And, when packing I squeeze the rod ends into the folded-up stand legs, keeping them and the pedal from flopping around and getting snagged...

My hi hat stand is like 40 years old. I believe it is Ludwig. Regardless, it has neither a base plate or the two rods. It has a long, skinny piece of metal that is attached to the heel plate and feeds into a recess under the tripod. It's held in place with a wingnut, is pretty darn sturdy, and all folds up nice and easy.

Back