Cheap Pearl/Mapex bags

Goreliscious

Has anyone got any feedback on using Mapex or Pearl cheap bags? I just need a cheap and basic set of bags for my spare kit.

bigiainw

Gold Member
Has anyone got any feedback on using Mapex or Pearl cheap bags? I just need a cheap and basic set of bags for my spare kit.
They are what they say- cheap bags. They do give some simple protection, but won't save them if dropped from any height as they have zero padding.

Last edited:

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
They are what they say- cheap bags. They do give some simple protection, but won't save them if dropped from any height as that have zero padding.
I have used cheap bags and I still do for a few things. About all they are good for is preventing scratches and dings - which is pretty important. The more you pay, the more you get in terms of protection from dropping - bent hardware, dented shells, torn heads, etc. Cheap bags also have a habit of coming apart at the seams, especially if they are used a lot.

If you are handling your own stuff, cheap bags should be sufficient.

scarlit

Silver Member
The Gators that are like $100 for the set work fine for me. I like the protection racket bags as well, decent padding and good overall quality.

Goreliscious

I've ended up buying the Mapex set unseen, (even though I don't like to that with anything), if there's anything good or bad worth mentioning about them then I'll report back.

Goreliscious

A quick couple notes on the pros and cons of the Mapex bags...

Pros: The snare bag comes with back straps which is useful. There's a pouch for odds and sods attached to the snare bag, it's not big enough for sticks but gloves/drum keys/a mic etc would happily fit in there easily. The handles on the snare, hi tom and mid tom are pretty good and padded.

Cons: There's not a centralised handle on either the floor tom or bass drum bags, (like the snare, hi tom and mid tom), but instread two larger but flimsier handles either side. Though even this has it's upside because I can carry the floor tom on my shoulder which frees up a hand...meaning I can carry all the drums except for bass drum in one go.

Overall: Very happy. The padding isn't really thick but you get what you pay for.