Cheap but good way to record...

BigBelly

Hey folks,

My son has been drumming now for just over a year and I have been wanting to start recording him, not because he's great and not to become a YouTube drummer. I just thought it would be cool to video him from time to time and use that as a way to create an album of his progression...pictures are cool but... I guess you could call it a video diary. I just think it would be cool. If he continues to play, it would be really fun to be able to give it back to him when he's an adult.

Anyway, I don't know much about recording but don't have a giant budget either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Do you have a camcorder or do you want to use the camera on your laptop or computer?
Most camcorders have OK sound and they can load to a computer.
If you get a usb port camera you can record directly onto your computer.
If you use your computer camera you will need a usb mic for good sound.

Do you use a Mac or a PC?

Hum... If you don't want to go through the expenses of microphones, pre-amps, converters etc. A possible solution for a budget video + audio recording would be the Zoom Q3:
- Zoom Q3

Here's a few clips made with the Q3 by a drum buddy from another forum:
- Brandon Khoo - Highway to Hell
- Brandon Khoo - Lady Gaga revamp

I'm thinking about getting one myself actually...

I've got a PC. Just bought a new Toshiba. It does have a webcam but I would prefer to use my camcorder. Anyone have an idea as to cost? How cheap can you build a decent recording set-up?

I found a guy on the web that uses a unit made by BOSS that has it's own microphone, mixing abilities, etc. Anyone have any word on it? I'll try and get the model number and re-post.

Hum... If you don't want to go through the expenses of microphones, pre-amps, converters etc. A possible solution for a budget video + audio recording would be the Zoom Q3:
- Zoom Q3

Here's a few clips made with the Q3 by a drum buddy from another forum:
- Brandon Khoo - Highway to Hell
- Brandon Khoo - Lady Gaga revamp

I'm thinking about getting one myself actually...
With you on that DH. I didn't know about this little number. I have a Zoom H2 that works really well for audio capture of rehearsals, etc. I've always wondered how best to achieve reasonable visuals sync'd to good stereo audio. Thanks for the heads up DH!

With you on that DH. I didn't know about this little number. I have a Zoom H2 that works really well for audio capture of rehearsals, etc. I've always wondered how best to achieve reasonable visuals sync'd to good stereo audio. Thanks for the heads up DH!

You're welcome for the heads up :)

I was interested in the H2 at first, but I read although the sound quality is very good for what it is, it's quite a fragile piece of equipment (the build)... Then Brandon pointed out the me the Q3 and the fact it can take reasonable quality video also. For the price it seems interesting for recordings video and audio of rehearsals.

Last edited:

If you already have a Zoom H2, use a standard digital camera to record video and sync the two in Windows Movie Maker or something.

Hey, is that you, CJ? :)
Just found out we share birthdays!

Damn I knew it was you lol!

Yes me it is. Just one question - do you get a happy birthday's mail over at Donati's? I never got one... Ever. *sobs*

I've really been trying to find a fairly cheap video camera that just has inputs for a better mic. I really want to just mount it on a stand and record all of my playing right off the side of my kit. That zoom one just might work.

how much are you willing to spend? does your son use an e-kit or an acoustic kit? do you have to have video too, or will audio be enough?

i could easily recommend you a recording setup which will get very good results (if you're son/you are willing to learn some basic recording techniques) but it really depends if he has an e-kit.

very good luck though, it will be an amazing practice tool for him!
(my apologies if you already answered my questions, i'm just typing in alot of threads atm).

I use a Sony Webbie and a Blue Snowball USB condenser mic overhead with Audacity software (free). The Webbie gives you HD video and you can sync it to the audio using a $3 clapboard and any decent video editing software. Total investment was about $300 and the quality is very good. The webbie will also act as an HD webcam so if you have the horsepower you can capture it all at once on your PC.

Here's an example of a recording using that setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0TAA1QoB7U

I was looking at that Zoom Q3 somebody mentioned. That seems like really good solution if it performs as advertised. The only real drawback would be that you can't place the mic where you want it relative to the camera.

Last edited:
Hm, to be honest, I'm not sure about this year, but I think I mostly or always did, yes! I suppose the forum does know your birthday?

Yes the forum does know my birthday T_T

Back