Charlie's Kit unpopular opinion

miek

Thanks to @Bo Eder for this great pic, I noticed something about his kit that's always an interesting topic here: The center port hole.
Many talk about how this isn't the ideal place for it, yet it worked for Charlie for decades.

So what's the reason it's not good?
View attachment 107781
This would probably matter more if you like your mic on the outside of the kick peering into the port. I use a sennheiser e-602 boomed all the way in to about 3” off the batter and I doubt port placement matters at all for me. It does look unconventional though.

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
I don't fault someone being a bad sound man for porting a head. I would fault them for being lazy all day though.
ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO:
Bonham had the right idea. Back off the mics. Let the drums sing. Mic it as a set, not individual toms. Snare excepted
Sounds right to me :) but I am no engineer lol

miek

There's only one center. The center IMO is where the good tone comes from. That's why I don't cut out the center.

I don't fault someone being a bad sound man for porting a head. I would fault them for being lazy all day though.

Bonham had the right idea. Back off the mics. Let the drums sing. Mic it as a set, not individual toms. Love that tone. Close miced toms and bass....I much prefer some noticeable atmosphere with the drum kit sound, not sterile "in a vacuum" hits. Snare excepted
Metallica’s main engineer even mentions using the vocal mics as part of the drum mix, so I think the concept of area micing is a good way to go. I do like a mic in the kick though.