CHARLIE WATTS: R. I. P.

Charlie Watts, the drummer who provided the backbone of the Rolling Stones’ songs for more than half a century, has died, his publicist said. He was 80.

Bernard Doherty said Tuesday that Watts “passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier today surrounded by his family.”

Doherty said: “Charlie was a cherished husband, father and grandfather and also as a member of The Rolling Stones one of the greatest drummers of his generation.”

Man, hes always been there., that groove, those looks...I actually feel very strange...another icon gone.

Possibly my fav drummer ever.

Best Charlie Watts story excerpted from Rolling Stone mag:
As one famous story from the band’s heyday goes, Jagger once phoned Watts’ hotel room in the midst of an all-night party asking “Where’s my drummer?” Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: “Don’t ever call me your drummer again. You’re my fucking singer!”

My blood just ran cold when I read this post. There's nothing to say..im numb. I've always had a hard time dealing with death. Im at a loss for words. There are some extremely well spoken personalities here that will help me cope.

Last edited:
Our beloved Charlie Watts, who helped The Rolling Stones to become the greatest band in rock 'n' roll, has died at the age of 80.

"It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts," a statement said.

"He passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier today surrounded by his family."
It said he was "a cherished husband, father and grandfather" and "one of the greatest drummers of his generation".

The news comes weeks after it was announced that Watts would miss the band's US tour dates to recover from an unspecified medical procedure. Watts was previously treated for throat cancer in 2004.

He had been a member of the Stones since January 1963, when he joined Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Brian Jones in their fledgling group.

A jazz aficionado at heart, Watts helped them become, with The Beatles, one of the bands who took rock 'n' roll to the masses in the 60s with classics like (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Get Off My Cloud and Sympathy for the Devil.

Last edited:
So much respect. Pretty much any and all pop and rock drummers out there today owe a lot to this man. He, Mick and Keith were the backbone of the band and they both referred to him as the "key". What a huge loss.

I have a sinking feeling. It just keeps getting deeper and darker. I was going to practice drums this afternoon. I don't know if I can now. I'm too shook up. RIP Charlie.

Back