Changing up your rig... thank goodness I don't do it too often!

mo2vation

I like my rig to be what it is.

I'm a fan of muscle memory. I'm a fan of having my snare, my toms, my HH and my ride in the same places year after year. Adding efx cymbals, crashes and chinas I may move some stuff in and out - but I like my stuff where I like my stuff.

Ive been playing 10, 12, 14 since the mid 90's. A few years ago, picked up a 16 with the same wrap and roughly the same vintage. Adding a 16 wasn't a big deal - just tacked it on to the end of the kit.

I've been hunting for an 8" forever. Haven't played a tom that small since the early 80's, and I'd love the poppy tone of one on my kit.

I finally found one of the same vintage and size I was looking for. Unfortunately, the wrap was some green pearl oyster nonsense. From this forum, I learned of Glick, so I Glicked it and its nearly a dead ringer for the rest of the Green Sparkle kit.

Tacking a tom onto the FRONT of the kit is not as easy. I moved my 12" to the right one position... hmmmm... that's where my ride has always been.

Tom - Tom ----------ride-------- Tom - Tom

I put the ride in the hole.

No more hole.

Hmmmm....

So I've literally spent about 4+ hours today reconfiguring the kit - cutting Rack pipe, determining how to suspend the tom without adding any more floor stands, how to move the ride without adding a floor stand, etc.

WHEW

Its been a fun ride. Watching some NCAA hoops in my studio and cover the floor with clamps, pipe, stands and spirit levels while I dig in.

I just completely underestimated how long it would take.

I'm taking a rest for a few hours - gonna head out and see if I start running into stuff and knocking sticks out of my hands - or if it feels familiar. It was feeling really great a few minutes ago.

Can't wait! Love the new tom.

After playing my tupperwear kit (Traps) for the last 4 weeks, its so nice to be back on my main DW rig.

-K

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
A kit's configuration is akin to a guitar's action... the player relies on it for consistency, comfort, accuracy and speed. There's nothing wrong with keeping things the same, and it can be both traumatic and and adventure when it's necessary to change things up.

I've kept the same rack & settings on my touring kit for almost 20 years, and I rely on it being the same night after night, year after year. The only change I'll be making is swapping a Kat trigger pad for a smaller unit, and that should take just a few minutes to position correctly.

Bermuda

mo2vation

A kit's configuration is akin to a guitar's action... the player relies on it for consistency, comfort, accuracy and speed. There's nothing wrong with keeping things the same, and it can be both traumatic and and adventure when it's necessary to change things up.

I've kept the same rack & settings on my touring kit for almost 20 years, and I rely on it being the same night after night, year after year. The only change I'll be making is swapping a Kat trigger pad for a smaller unit, and that should take just a few minutes to position correctly.

Bermuda
Concur.

I've had the ride in the hole since the mid-80's. This move wasn't dramatic, but it took a few hours of thinking to get it to where it was comfy.

I forgot to add - one thing I didn't want was to add another floor stand. So getting another tom in, moving the ride, adding another two crashes - all without adding a single floor stand.

Took a bit - all worked out.

I'm gonna play it a bit more today - if its all good I'll cut down and cap the rack pipe, secure the memory locks and post some pics.

I'm building this kit for Easter (we do a huge outdoor thing each year) and this kit will hopefully carry me the next 10 years.

-K

drummerman42

I really haven't had to change up my rig in about 11 years!!!! I used to always change it before then to find what was comfortable and more natural when playing. I finally found something that hit both on the screws, thanks to Mike Portnoy! haven't changed it since!!!!

tard

Gold Member
Had to do it when I found the matching 8" for my kit. I put a 3 leg basket on the 16" and moved it to the floor then pushed them all over 1 spot to make room for the 8" but it left a hole so I stole the 6" roto tom from the old set of 6, 8, 10 that I gave the kids to beat on and mounted it in the hole between the 8" and my hats.

mo2vation

Finally - Photos

Shots from Yesterday's Service in the Park.

This is the event I build the new kit for (better: reconfig'ed) - and I couldn't be more pleased. The 8" adds a lot of flavor to the rig, and moving the ride over a bit made it actually more natural to play.

Still getting used to the pair of front crashes - having only had side crashes forever.

I like it.

-Ken

drummerman42

Re: Finally - Photos

Shots from Yesterday's Service in the Park.

This is the event I build the new kit for (better: reconfig'ed) - and I couldn't be more pleased. The 8" adds a lot of flavor to the rig, and moving the ride over a bit made it actually more natural to play.

Still getting used to the pair of front crashes - having only had side crashes forever.

I like it.

-Ken

I like that set-up. It's similar to my set-up, and to me it feels more natural to play that way. Do you get that same natural feeling when you play this set-up?

mo2vation

Re: Finally - Photos

I like that set-up. It's similar to my set-up, and to me it feels more natural to play that way. Do you get that same natural feeling when you play this set-up?
HI buddy

The 12 Tom is in the ride hole... that's weird. I missed a couple of crash hits this weekend, but that's been the only issues. I love how they sound, they feel very natural.

I do so much jungle drums - so much tom work. Patterns, very melodic, integrating china, the stax, the bells, snare off, snare on, etc. Its really nice to have that 8" for another color I can paint with.

It feels really, really great. None of the essentials have moved - snare, kick, HH - all same place. Floor toms - same place. Most of the cymbals - same place. Ride moved over 10 inches and up about 4. Tom's 1 and 2 are in the same place toms 1 and 2 have been for decades.

I love it so far.

-K