Changing trigger unit in Roland PD125

RWA

Hi. One of my PD125 pads has a bad trigger. It still works but only when I hit the mesh head hard. I've ordered a new one (still haven't got it) but I'm looking for a tutorial to replace it. I find a lot of video's about changing the cone but not about changing the entire trigger unit. Can anyone post a link to a tutorial video? Thanks. :)

Doraemon

Do you mena the piezo? Was your cone intact and all wires and solder joints fine? What makes you think that is the issue? Just measure it, you can even find piezo disks with presoldered wire on ebay, amazon, for easier replacement. Or check drum-tec for parts.

RWA

Hi Deraemon. The guy from the e-drum shop wrote it was probably the piezo. The cone seems in tact. I reckon he's correct since it's his business. I'm just waiting for the piezo to arrive at his shop. I'll just take my PD125 and see if I can replace it over there. It seems he doesn't do it and let some repair guy do it. He told me to look for tutorials but I can't seem to find it. That's why I dropped the message over here. Thanks for the reply! :)

Doraemon

Well, it has a black (or maybe white) and a red wire, you take note of the original where it goes, put the new one in place of it and resolder the wires. If you've never soldered wires, might want to ask a friend to do it, or someone at an electronics or mobile phone repair shop. Or start practicing while you wait. :) Another thing to check is how it's attached, may be glued down or you can use double-sided tape.

Doraemon

If it's like this one, the head trigger will be under the cone and held by those brackets. Aren't they loose?
If it's an older unit, I'd still inspect the cone, I think rubber can lose it's bounciness with age even if it's not broken. Head tension can also affect your triggering. You could remove the mesh and play/lightly tap on the cone, maybe compare it to one that works.

Last edited: