Changing to a Hybrid Kit??

Morayfirthaudio

Hi Troops, Looking for some advice here if possible.
I have a lovely old Pearl 12 piece Phenolic Kit, and our old covers band is getting back together.
But practicing in a house with neighbours is less than ideal, so Im looking at maybe converting it to a hybrid kit.
This is where my knowledge stops dead. I dont have an open cheque book but if I need to spend a couple of quid so be it. I have quite a lot of skins to replace LOL. So im thinking Mesh Skins, triggers and a Brain of some kind.
Any info here will be fantastic
Thanks for any help
Cheers
Glen

Phenolic Kit huh? A nice, rare kit to have. (y)
YouTuber 66Samus put RTOM LV mesh heads on his Pearl kit then attached his triggers to it & loved the result.
You might have similar results:

I have a lovely old Pearl 12 piece Phenolic Kit, and our old covers band is getting back together.
...... if I need to spend a couple of quid so be it. I have quite a lot of skins to replace LOL.
So ..... that sounds like you're planning on converting all 12 pieces. And "a couple of quid" ??????

Maybe check out this video ..... see if this is still the direction you wanna go ...... and come up with a more precise budget.

On the brain side of things, I cannot praise the eDRUMin enough (in a few months of practicing with it). Sure you'll need a laptop and even the eDRUMin10 (little more expensive) you'll be down a couple of inputs, but you can potentially double up a few inputs, depending what your kits like, to work around that.
As I see it, the only con is needing a laptop and everything connected to that. The pros are that its interface is easier than any straight up brain unit I've ever dealt with, getting sounds sounding good becomes a computer job which I prefer, and for its price I think it beats far pricier brains in ease of use and rewarding results.

Before we get into the whole A2E thing- will you be using this kit as a "hybrid" kit for gigs as well or switching back and forth between electronic for quiet practice and acoustic for gigs?

I bought the Roland TM 6 Pro brain and 5 Roland triggers. I put on some Silent Stroke heads but kept the acoustic cymbals. It sounds great and is fun to play. The feel isn't the same but it's nice being able to emulate e drum sounds from the 80s or rock drums from any era. All in I think I spent about $1500.

Thanks guys! really appreciate this info!!! I was trying to work out whether to replace the skins or....
Yeh Its going to be a couple of quid to replace the bits but as long as its way quieter for the neighbours, but i'll investigate these choices
Really appreciateDrums.png it

Back