Changing Drumsticks

BassDriver

Silver Member
Does anyone change what drumsticks they use frequently to have experiment with a different feel?

I got this idea after going to Drumtek and buying what I though were two pairs of Vic Firth 5B American Classic sticks. It turned out I accidently bought a pair of Danny Carey Signature Drumsticks and they feel really comfortable because they are thicker at the butt end with a cut-in in place where the thumb should be, sure I drummed because of the extra weight but the balance when doing pad work was very noticeable

...any one with such an experience?

I experimented when I was first starting to play, but once I found a pair that I liked I have stuck with them ever since. I don't really see the need to change if I like what I am using now. I used the Danny Carey's for a bit, I just felt they were a bit big for me, and they cost a little more I think?

I have experimented with a lot of drumsticks to find a diameter, length, bead, and feel that I can play comfortably for long periods. I settled on a good old Promark hickory 5A after trying literally dozens of sticks. However, I do keep around a couple of pairs of 5Bs for if my hands get tired (which occasionally means I'm gripping too hard), as well as a goodly supply of Vic Firth SD7 Echos for light work and acoustic settings where volume control is important.

It's not unusual to go through a lot of sticks over the years as your playing changes.

Like most here, I've tried just about every brand/wood type/tip type/diameter/length over the years. But for the most part I'll generally use a stick that's slightly thicker than a 5A. I used to get them custom made back in the day and buy in bulk. Now I use Vater Fusion (the closest I've found to my old specs). But I always have a few pairs of 3A's that come in handy in various situations, and a few pairs of 7A's for quieter applications. I like to swap between all three when practising so that I can grab any pair depending on the situation and not have them feel uncomfortable. The only constants are that I prefer a hickory stick with a ball or barrel tip.

right now i'm going through a big phase of changing sticks. i love the feel of 5a or 5b but they brake too quickly on me because i practice often and usually hit medium hard. they're great because they're versatile too. but i also love the fact that thicker sticks like 2b don't brake on me as much. i just have to keep lookin around i guess

When I change sticks, it's usually for the sound rather than the feel. I personally don't feel the need to change from A to B or something. However, my drumteacher once explained to me that every different tip shape has it's own characteristics. For example, the vic firth peter erskine ride sticks have a teardrop shaped tip, this results in a warmer sound when your playing the ride than by using a vic firth 5a. You can also play softer more easily, so I swam around with those two depending on the songs I'm playing. But apart from those two, I haven't really experimented much with them.

In the last 6 years I've only broken one stick. I don't understand folk that break several sticks a night, that smacks of bad sound levels / poor PA if you have to play that hard or you like breaking sticks?

That said I've been using Hornets for 2 years and they make sense to me. I like them. Otherwise I would be a 5A kinda guy. I've tried 7As (too light) and 5Bs (too heavy) so I suppose 5A is right. The very light sticks have no bounce and so feel very dead to me. The heavier sticks are fine but they don't feel right.

I guess it's only when you have found what's too heavy and what's too light, that you know what's right.

Peace
Davo

Vic's Buddy Rich......its all I use, people complain about the painted finish, but all I know is that they feel wonderful in my hands. Love um...and am not changing anytime soon.

Generally, I like hickory sticks by Vater or Vic Firth. My stick bag has 3 compartments in it, each with either 5B wood tips, 5A wood tips, or 7As with the tips cut off used for butt-end playing. I like the 5As or 7As when playing by myself, and the 5Bs or 7As when playing with the band. I really like skinny sticks with butt-ends, they're similar to timbale sticks and are great for maintaining consistent volume.

right now i'm going through a big phase of changing sticks. i love the feel of 5a or 5b but they brake too quickly on me because i practice often and usually hit medium hard. they're great because they're versatile too. but i also love the fact that thicker sticks like 2b don't brake on me as much. i just have to keep lookin around i guess

First off it's BREAK, not BRAKE. What type of wood are you using, you may want to try a harder type of wood. Or maybe try a different technique, sticks shouldn't break that often even if you hit hard.

In 28 years of playing I have broken maybe 10 pairs of sticks. Its all technique. I mean sometimes a stick is bad, the tip falls off, whatever. Currently I use maple sticks live, they are extremely light weight. Hickory in the studio.

Someone told me "if you break a stick you arent using good technique or you arent a good drummer" after wanting, and resisting the urge to tear them apart, I said "tell that to countless "famous" drummers (insert name here) that have a bag of sticks on stage and 2 or 3 stick holders full of sticks."

You broke only 10 pair of sticks in 28 years time...? That's a pretty cheap habit you have there ;)

I think you shouldn't worry about breaking sticks, I mean, you're hitting metal with it and wood obviously is less strong, so it's only natural that you break them. I think I break one pair every two months or something.

Back