Changes that improved your technique

Trigger

Oh man, This exact same thing happened to me. I read in magazine for years about how death metal drummers all had their pedals maxed out and i tried playing like that and it was hopeless. One day I went super loose and within 5 minutes I could play 16th from 170-230bpm.

It's not just you that made this mistake haha.

SharkSandwich

After many years of sitting fairly low, I raised my seat. It completely changed the way I play and it felt great. I'm over the drums more
so I feel like I can navigate them easier and more naturally.

Rock Salad

I switched from super light sticks to more medium 5As, and am noticing more nuance and more possibilities. Pretty similar to your spring tension revelation. I like my pedal smooth and easy too, but with a little weight on the beater.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm motivating the stick with my back fingers instead of the index finger/thumb fulcrum.

My jazz ride pattern (JRP) increased in speed almost immediately. Thanks for the tip Tony Williams.

The push pull stroke is really cool too, a game changer, but I still have a long way to go wit dat

Heel down hi hat is hard but what control!

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
For me, it was playing some big, thin dark cymbals for the first time. I could actually play the cymbals without feeling I had to give them a wallop to get them to open up. This caused me to relax almost instantly, and they were so much fun to play, and the cymbals made on-stage volume for everyone else much more tolerable.

Lefty38-55

Well for me, just getting back into drumming after a loooooooong time away, I bought a new drum kit ... but haven't set the entire set up yet, LOL! I've been forcing myself to go back to 'Square 1' with practice pad and then the snare, to rebuild and FOCUS on my chops and my rudiments. I will say everything is coming along really well, so that's good. And I'm starting to add more pieces as I slowly setup the full kit.

Anyway, clearly this is NOT a recommendation for everyone and sometimes I'm amazed I've been able to show such discipline, but it's working for me ... so there you go.

jimb

Not there yet but a new found interest in jazz kinda forced me to play trad grip and I love it....feels kinda more realxed, less wanting to bash hell outta the kit.....and tons more control. Match is feeling more and more unsatisfying.

Good Karma

Not there yet but a new found interest in jazz kinda forced me to play trad grip and I love it....feels kinda more realxed, less wanting to bash hell outta the kit.....and tons more control. Match is feeling more and more unsatisfying.
I worked on the tradition grip for about 3 months, after 3 months with ZERO improvement. I stopped

MG1127

I'm motivating the stick with my back fingers instead of the index finger/thumb fulcrum.

My jazz ride pattern (JRP) increased in speed almost immediately. Thanks for the tip Tony Williams.

The push pull stroke is really cool too, a game changer, but I still have a long way to go wit dat

Heel down hi hat is hard but what control!
I think you misunderstood Tony

but I am glad you discovered back finger motivation ... and also that thumb/index fulcrum is incredibly restricting outside of buzz rolls

cbphoto

Gold Member
Lowered the beater height and reduced tension in my kick pedal. I gained more power and speed.

Using Vic Grip sticks and now Active Grip sticks my hands never fatigue. They allow me to use a very loose grip.

Ergo-Rider hydraulic drum throne with backrest improved my ability to play for hours. The backrest really helps my posture and this eliminated back fatigue.

Tama Rhythm Watch makes me a deputy of Chronos, God of Time, and allows me to dispute with impunity any player who questions The Tempo.

The Boss Jam Station 5 (JS-5), along with a Crown PZM mic, changed my playing the most. Recording with it helped me eliminate really bad drumming.

Sonar Dave

I adjust my seat according to the song. Mostly a little higher than 90 deg.

dwsabianguy

After many years of sitting fairly low, I raised my seat. It completely changed the way I play and it felt great. I'm over the drums more
so I feel like I can navigate them easier and more naturally.

It's funny, I had the opposite experience. I used to sit Mike Portnoy high, but one day I sat down at a kit at school that had a low-set throne and all of sudden my right foot no longer rushed as much. I've been sitting fairly low ever since.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think you misunderstood Tony

but I am glad you discovered back finger motivation ... and also that thumb/index fulcrum is incredibly restricting outside of buzz rolls
The thumb/index fulcrum...is like closing a door near the hinges. Not the best way. Using the back fingers gives me way more leverage. Like closing a door by the doorknob

I value your input greatly. Respectfully, in your opinion, where did I misunderstand Tony?