"Chameleon" drum selection

Jhostetler

Hey guys, This is my first question since being introduced to this forum.

I just got called last night to help record a cover of Herbie Hancock's "Chameleon." I'd really like some input as to what snare I should use on this recording as I have a few.

14x5 Silverstar Birch snare

14x5 Sonor D-444 (it sounds a lot like a Supra)

13x4 Pearl Steel Piccolo

14x6.5 Mapex Mars Pro Steel

I've got a good assortment of heads to choose from as well. I just want to get as close as possible to the original sound.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
Hey guys, This is my first question since being introduced to this forum.

I just got called last night to help record a cover of Herbie Hancock's "Chameleon." I'd really like some input as to what snare I should use on this recording as I have a few.

14x5 Silverstar Birch snare

14x5 Sonor D-444 (it sounds a lot like a Supra)

13x4 Pearl Steel Piccolo

14x6.5 Mapex Mars Pro Steel

I've got a good assortment of heads to choose from as well. I just want to get as close as possible to the original sound.
I think that the Sonor would be the best out of your drums to use. And you would want a fairly dry sound for that song also.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with any of those snares, but I'd say start with one of the 5x14s. Between those wood and metal shells, I think you'll get reasonably close to the sound. Tuning will be more important than head choice, but I'd say a coated 1-ply is your best bet.

Understand also that EQ and a little compression will govern the sound more than you can on the drum alone. So if you can get it to a point where it's almost there, or at least on its way, the engineer will take it the rest of the way.

Bermuda

Aeolian

Platinum Member
In those days Harvey's drums were pretty damped. But a 5-6" deep wood snare should do it.

I recently did a session where the studio had a 6" wood DW fitted with one of those Evans Genera Dry heads that have a bunch of little holes around the edge. That kind of sounded like the record without being completely dead. Not a head I would want to use live, but very clean on a recording without sounding like it had a roll of toilet paper taped to it.

Jhostetler

Thanks for all of your input guys! I ended up going with the Sonor with a couple of Ambassadors thrown on, and the internal muffler just barely touching the head. Ended up sounding really good in the mix. I'll need to see If I can get a recording up sometime.