Chad vs Will

KamaK

Platinum Member
Chad was a good drummer 25 years ago. It's nice to see that he's become a great drummer. Some of his stuff that you can find on youtube has left me awestruck.

New Tricks

Platinum Member

It became a comedy act,
Became? WTF? It was a comedy act from day one.

I tuned in an laughed out loud. I don't follow TV too much and they DO look a LOT alike.

I can hear the set up. "OK, On the third solo segment, bring the camera in tight on Will so no one will see the obviously recorded part :)"

zambizzi

Platinum Member
It was a total riot...well done. Will's trash talk was just awesome! It was pretty obvious from the start that it wasn't Will playing, but it was fully-entertaining, anyhow. Who was actually playing...Questlove? Chad did a great job. I can't wait to catch the whole episode now and see the RHCP performance and the interviews.

"Are you sure you don't play for the 'Luke Warm Chili Peppers'?"

Angus Macinnes

It was one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. The interview with Chad and Will was over the top funny. The drumming by all means was supposed to be what it was. If you can't laugh at yourself or your chosen profession I certainly think you need to take a look at life. It is the humor that keeps us young. And wow do they look alike.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The whole think was hilarious.

From dressing like twins, pretending to be each other to the epic finish. That was funny!

bromasi

It was a bit folks, relax, some of you guys are way to serious plus they made some money for their charities

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I sensed perhaps a homage to old Abbott & Costello routines (?).
Also perhaps a homage to the scene in "The Kids are Alright" where the reporter asks Pete Townshed a question, and Keith Moon says the exact opposite of what Pete says, at the same time.

--------

While I'm sure it's a small number, I'm still curious how many people who watched this think Will was actually playing the drums.

v.zarate

Gold Member
I knew from the start it was gonna be something funny/entertaining and not a serious drum off. I enjoyed laughing over it. The cowbell and wills faces were good!

BFrench501

Chad was a good drummer 25 years ago. It's nice to see that he's become a great drummer. Some of his stuff that you can find on youtube has left me awestruck.
I think he's world class. Phenomenal drummer. Such deep pocket. Flea is so so lucky to have Chad as drummer in RHCP. I'd die to be given Chads skills in heaven, his groove is phenomenal.

Razbo

I think it would have been more amusing to see him genuinely try to play the drums.
Me, too!

Let me explain the joke Will was doing: by dropping in a part that anyone could recognize as fake,...
Sadly, I think many non-drummers probably will not know it was fake. A non-drummer I watched the vid with did not know it was fake. Even after saying so, I still needed to point out how. I imagine most non-musicians, or non-drummers, at least, are looking at faces.

brady

Platinum Member
While I'm sure it's a small number, I'm still curious how many people who watched this think Will was actually playing the drums.
This was my wife.

We watched it the next day on our DVR and I had to rewind it to show her how the sound and Will's movements didn't line up. It was obviously fake. Which, I knew wasn't the point. It was a very entertaining bit.

I will admit that the cowbell bit did surprise me. I should've seen that coming.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Wow...the whole thing was a bit.A joke,set up a while ago.This was not unlike most of Wills bits;a prolonged joke that just goes on,developing a life of it's own.This was done because people WANTED it to be done.Those that have said for years,that the two look alike,now know that they don't play alike....or just don't care.To take anything Will does seriously is just not what the man's about,and he's worked tirelessly to make it so.

This was an itch that needed to be scratched,and charity benefited from it.Sounds like winner,winner chicken dinner to me.At least we know that Chad can stand in for Wills stunt double any day of the week.

Steve B

T.L.

I loved it!

Will Ferrell is brilliant and Chad Smith in addition to being a great player is also a great entertainer.

Next up, I'd love to see a drum-off with their other identical triplet: George W. Bush...

That would be epic!

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
I loved it!

Will Ferrell is brilliant and Chad Smith in addition to being a great player is also a great entertainer.

Next up, I'd love to see a drum-off with their other identical triplet: George W. Bush...
The three should have a paint-off!

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Saw Chad at the last DRUM! magazine Drum Night. Didn't know he did drum line as a kid but he can seriously play. I knew he had pocket from the RHCP tune I'd heard on the radio. But he's got major league chops as well. He barely scratched the surface in those bits on Fallon.

He's also much funnier than Will Ferrell. Talked for about 10 minutes before sitting at the kit and had everyone broken up.

I'm wondering if Chad played both parts. Will counting off with the stick clicks and all made it sound like he was cuing some other live drummer. And unless Quest jumped on some other kit it didn't sound like his regular set up.

I'm curious what Chad thought of playing together with ?uestlove at the end. You could hear a bit of flaming on the snares at first until they synced up. Different pockets. Both deep, but different.

TheHeelDrummer

Chad is an amazing drummer and has been for as long as I can remember.

As far as rock drummers go, IMHO he takes a backseat to absolutely no one and one can certainly make an argument of him being the best rock drummer of our generation.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Really....the last post on this thread was almost 2 months ago.There are plenty of other topics to post about.This one has been gatering dust.

Steve B