CB drum starter kit vs. Trak drums

inquizativ

I'm looking into buying used drums. The first set is a CB drum set and the second is Trak.

What are the recommendations about both brands, and which one (given the cost, etc) I should go for.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

I'm looking into buying used drums. The first set is a CB drum set and the second is Trak.

What are the recommendations about both brands, and which one (given the cost, etc) I should go for.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Do yourself a favor now (before everyone else starts responding) and put down at a minimum:
What style you play
How long you have been playing
What your budget is
What your goals/ambitions are
What you are wearing

(ok, I was just kidding about the last one) but it will help to know more about you before anyone could provide advice/recommendations.

Good idea! Thanks

The drums really aren't for me. They're for a friend who's learning to play the drums. It wouldn't be a full time thing...more of an outlet to keep busy hands occupied!

He really wants to learn how to play well, but he won't be auditioning for a band or anything like that! It would be more of a side hobby.

Other than that I can't really give specifics.

Can anyone help out given those vague points??

Also, what I'm wearing is NOT relevant - LOL - but nice try! :)

Good idea! Thanks

The drums really aren't for me. They're for a friend who's learning to play the drums. It wouldn't be a full time thing...more of an outlet to keep busy hands occupied!

So youre buying your friend a kit - what a great friend - will you be my friend? I have a few more pieces I'd like to add to my kit :)

So youre buying your friend a kit - what a great friend - will you be my friend? I have a few more pieces I'd like to add to my kit :)

Well maybe I'd consider it if you were able to point me in the right direction - lol

Although, to add another point, my budget isn't large. This is supposed to be an x-mas gift and i'm hoping to spend around 300 or less. The two that are being sold used are within that price range

Although, to add another point, my budget isn't large. This is supposed to be an x-mas gift and i'm hoping to spend around 300 or less. The two that are being sold used are within that price range

Ive never heard of Trak so I can't comment. Since youre not concerned with quality at this point and just looking to keep it on a budget, I'm sure either of those kits would be fine. If you are getting a 3-4 piece, hardware, cymbals, etc for under $300 - I'd say go for it. He can always upgrade if he decides to keep learning/playing.

Ive never heard of Trak so I can't comment. Since youre not concerned with quality at this point and just looking to keep it on a budget, I'm sure either of those kits would be fine. If you are getting a 3-4 piece, hardware, cymbals, etc for under $300 - I'd say go for it. He can always upgrade if he decides to keep learning/playing.

There were posts on this website before about Trak and they seemed to get mixed reviews. The same with CB. I've heard they're bad, but ok if you're just a beginner etc.

Trak apparently is discontinued, so would this creat difficulties in repairs, etc?

Also, if I forget the Trak set, (CB is cheaper anyway), what are your thoughts on just the CB set?

I think if you look into it you could find a NEW Groove Percussion or Ludwig beginners kits for about $300 w/hd.ware and cymbals. However, my first kit I bought was a CB 700. I had it for 8 years & I played in clubs w/it often for about 3 years. I put on coated Emperors on it and it sounded pretty damn good for an inexpensive kit.

There were posts on this website before about Trak and they seemed to get mixed reviews. The same with CB. I've heard they're bad, but ok if you're just a beginner etc.

Yeah - opinions are like .. well you know - everyone's got one. try to get a group this size to agree on anything (other than drumming is cool) ;)

Trak apparently is discontinued, so would this creat difficulties in repairs, etc?

You betcha! but it's a used entry level kit and you wont get a warranty. If anything breaks, replace it or upgrade, there are plenty of options.

Also, if I forget the Trak set, (CB is cheaper anyway), what are your thoughts on just the CB set?

Wll you didnt tell me the model, what it includes (what are the cymbals, hardware, condition, etc). Again, it's entry level and your friend is not a drummer (will be learning) so anything is better than nothing. Based on your budget, youre not gonna get anything better for the price, unless you stack up a couple trash cans and some 5 gallon buckets. Besides it's a gift and he should be happy.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear - maybe someone else can respond. Problem is, there re people that spend more than this on one cymbal - so when it comes to entry level, get the best you can afford because you'll be upgrading if you stick with it (no pun intended) anyway.

Good luck

CB Percussion sets are all over my Craigslist every day. Its nice of you to buy your friend a gift, but you may want to consider giving him/her a gift certificate for the 300, or just cash to be added to other funds. You really won't find much of any value for 300 unless you buy used. Check you local Craigslist or eBay for a decent used set that your friend won't tire of in a few months.

I think if you look into it you could find a NEW Groove Percussion or Ludwig beginners kits for about $300 w/hd.ware and cymbals. However, my first kit I bought was a CB 700. I had it for 8 years & I played in clubs w/it often for about 3 years. I put on coated Emperors on it and it sounded pretty damn good for an inexpensive kit.

Really?? I'll have to look into that.

Good to know about the CB. Thanks! :)

Thanks everyone for responding! I really appreciate it! Hopefully it'll work out!

Drumming is cool! :) Thanks for that Kool! lol - and no worries, I understand what you're saying!

Back