Caution cleaning heads

Frank

Gold Member
I don't know. I'm in a goofy mood, but - you got what you deserved. :)

Folks - you don't clean heads. If you want your heads that nice and shiny, either:
- Get rich and change them every day
- Change instruments.

jodgey4

Silver Member
Remo, Aquarian, and Ludwig seem to be unaffected. Just tested it with Windex. The Remo was the only one that was dirty, and the windex did help clean off some black. Maybe a bit came off the Remo, but it was surely no worse than using water and a towel. Sorry GD!

Stroman

Platinum Member

Folks - you don't clean heads. If you want your heads that nice and shiny, either:
- Change instruments.
That's just goofy. Why be dogmatic and judgmental just because someone wants to clean the heads?

Why even have an opinion about such a thing?

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
BTW FWIW the person that does my windows cuts their windex 50/50 with water, cleans just as good and you get twice as much.

Don't clean any coated head, refinish it.

Great after market idea- spray on coating for drumheads!

Evans/Remo should sell their coating in a rattle can, do colours. If GRUNTERSDAD had a can, he could save that head. Recoat--- Wipe old coating off head with Windex, then spray on coating, new head!

I'd buy a can, would find all kinds of uses for it.

Frank

Gold Member
That's just goofy. Why be dogmatic and judgmental just because someone wants to clean the heads?

Why even have an opinion about such a thing?
I'm horsing around, but - really - you don't clean heads. Wipe em down with a dust cloth when necessary, but, not with any sort of fluid/cleaner. It's not good for the heads.
Hence - the loss of the coating. :)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
You're a true Super Hero Grunt!
Just think of all those poor defenseless drum heads that you saved from the evil solvent known as Windex.

Last edited:

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I'm sure there are a bunck of guys here that have an old Evans head and a bottle of windex. I'm out of Windex at the moment, but I'll try this and see if I get the same results.
Very interesting!

bodinski

There are several Windex formulas. Which did you use?
I tried the Windex natural on my trusty old "magic" 16" G2 and it had no effect. Rubbing alcohol, however, took some coating off in short order. Interesting.

Homeularis

Gold Member
The new magical cleaner for use on everything seems to be Pledge Multi Surface cleaner.
It comes in wipes or spray.
I use it on every surface on my kit, lacquer, plastic (clear heads etc), cymbals, chrome and it works great (so far, no damage whatsoever).

It seems to be a great and safe product. However, use at your own risk ( I have not tried it on coated heads).

Check it out...

www.Pledge.com/MultiSurface

Hmmm, link wont post. Dont know why, frustrating.

Oh well, just have to Google it I guess.

Messerschmitt

Well, just if anyone was wondering...

I found out that you can clean really well drum heads by using alcohol. I used "Sanitary Alcohol", that kind of blue stuff made of industrial ethanol and it gets used at sterilising things.

I`ve got a Remo Controlled Sound coated on my snare, and I was preparing to take some pictures with it ( i love my drums :) ) . A friend suggested I should clean my dirty head, so it`ll look better in the pictures. Althrough I liked it as it was, I gave it a try.. It worked brilliantly well, didn`t leave a mark and did not affect the coating.

Hope this helps someone, it`s very cheap, easy and convenient.

ambientgreg

- Change instruments.
Thank You. Nothing goofy about that.

Fuzrock

Silver Member
BTW FWIW the person that does my windows cuts their windex 50/50 with water, cleans just as good and you get twice as much.

Evans/Remo should sell their coating in a rattle can, do colours. If GRUNTERSDAD had a can, he could save that head. Recoat--- Wipe old coating off head with Windex, then spray on coating, new head!

Great idea but what about the logo? Drumhead companies wouldn't want you spraying over their logo. I like the idea of colors, too.

D

Doctor Dirt

If it worked I'm still NOT cleaning heads, I hate cleaning drums I'm damn sure not cleaning the heads too. Doc

tard

Gold Member

Try some stucco, rocker panel rockguard or the spray on boxliner for pickup trucks, all 3 can be tinted or painted, let me know how you make out and which one works the best...lol

Last edited:

tard

Gold Member
I wish Windex worked that well on my damned windows!!
Directions for use: Spray windex in center of glass, step back 5 feet and throw rest of full 1 quart bottle at wet spot, window should now be so clean and spotless that it may look as if there is no glass at all....lol