Catalina Maple or Renown Maple?

JayDrummer

I am looking to buy a new drum set and i have narrowed it down to either a gretsch catalina maple set or a gretsch renown maple set.

Right now, i am leaning toward the catalina set mostly because of the price you can get one for.

What i am wondering is if a renown kit is truly worth the extra money or if i would be better off going with a catalina maple set.

Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance...

Mikey Dangerous

Hey,
Only way to know for sure is to play them both side-by-side and let your ears decide. I've heard the Catalina is great for the price, and that the Renown is just great. Ultimately, if you can afford it, I always say get best gear you can. You'll be happier with it in the end. Just my $0.02

All the best,

Mike

HeadRush

I've never really noticed too much of a difference actually.
Gretsch has wonderful quality control and I think all of their drums sound great for the most part
so I think you should just try em out and figure out what's best for you

stillgroovin

I own the Cat Maple and I have to tell you honestly they sound fantastic!!! If it's a money issue you won't be disapointed with the Cat maples. The only significant difference is the diecast hoops on the Renowns, which I have played and really didn't hear much of a difference. Either way you can't go wrong.

JayDrummer

Thanks for the input guys, i think i will probably end up getting a catalina maple kit, mostly because i have the money for it and i'd also like to make a few other upgrades as well with the remainder of my budget.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The cat maple is a great set and with a free floor tom you can't go wrong. However I have the Renown and can tell you it comes with DieCast hoops on the toms, comes with better heads, ones you may not have to change right away, and I just bought a Cat maple 16 floor tom and it weighs less than my Renown 14 x 14 floor tom. The difference in money is worth it, but its all a matter of your wallet. You won't go wrong with either. Check ebay they have a bunch of both for sale. I look every day.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I vote Renown. It's a pro level kit, that can go toe-to-toe with any other pro level kit. The Catalina...you'll still want to step up someday.

wloeb

I own the Cat Maple and I have to tell you honestly they sound fantastic!!! If it's a money issue you won't be disapointed with the Cat maples. The only significant difference is the diecast hoops on the Renowns, which I have played and really didn't hear much of a difference. Either way you can't go wrong.
I've played and examined both and would not say that the hoops are the only difference. The shells on the renown are better quality wood and the edges are cleaner. The finish is also higher quality. I would have no problem taking a renown to a any gig and would not say that is true for the Catalinas. They are simply good bugdet drums but the renown is a pro kit.

stillgroovin

Can anyone tell me how to post a sound clip here? If so I will post a clip of my Cat maples with Evans heads and sealed shells. Then someone can post a sound bit of their Renowns. This will help Jaydrummer make a sound (get it) decision!!!!

Morbid Koala

I'd go with the Renown, personally.

Mainly because you'd have a better kit that would hold a much better resale value than a Catalina. A used Catalina isn't going to fetch nearly the amount a Renown would if you ever decided to change up your sound.

And if you're not getting custom sizes, definitely buy your Renown used. Drum kits are just like cars. The second you buy new kit, it ain't new anymore. Save yourself the dough that you can use towards heads, cymbals, etc. Deals are definitely out there, go grab one!

JayDrummer

Can anyone tell me how to post a sound clip here? If so I will post a clip of my Cat maples with Evans heads and sealed shells. Then someone can post a sound bit of their Renowns. This will help Jaydrummer make a sound (get it) decision!!!!
Im not exactly sure how, but if you could that would be great. Thanks man.