Catalina Club Mod....uh Mod

sonnygrabber

Funny thing about the Catalina's is that they aren't true floating RIM's mounts but look-alike sorta things with these rubber stoppers pressed against the drum to hold them out from the rim. I did an experiment hitting the hang tom with the weight of the drum on the rubber and held away from the drum. Big difference in over-all sound, resonance, projection...well, everything.

So I got to thinking.....and then shopping...... and then doing.

Here's the result, and it cost me AU$2.25 from the local hardware shop.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55752&stc=1&d=1365498376

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55751&stc=1&d=1365498376

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55753&stc=1&d=1365498376

Thank God for the off-set lugs in the Mod's, but you could do it with any Catalina with the right sorta ingenuity. And believe me it's the best $2.25 I have ever spent!

Attachments

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
That's not the first time I've read about resonance issues with the rubber stopper on this forum.......you're certainly not alone with this problem. I recall several threads around the time Gretsch made the changes to the Cat series where guys were highlighting the exact same thing. It seems the downside with the switch from 6 lugs to 5 on the Cats, is the fact that they also had to change the GTS mount to accommodate it.

Cheap fix. Let us know how it holds up.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Cool idea. Yeah, the offset lugs make that much easier.

You stripped off the wrap too, eh? The Mods had a couple of hideous ones. Which one did you have?

sonnygrabber

I had the red sparkle with the black stripes. IMO it was the best offering of the lot but I guess at 40 years old I wanted a bit more of a classy look. Felt like a kids' kit after a few years.

Aside from unwrapping it I, lacquered the interiors, and redid the bearing edges like the high end Yamaha's, (sharper on the small tom to round-over on the bass drum, kept the floor tom at the 30 degree slight round). Got a new Brady snare 14 by 8 Jarrah ply too. ....And put my own BADGE on it ;P.

With the way they are now I'd put 'em up against most anything.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55764&stc=1&d=1365558349

Attachments

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not fully understanding what you did, probably because I'm not familiar with the original Gretsch system, but your fix looks good :)

sonnygrabber

Hey Andy,

The original Gretsch set-up on the Catalina's is a RIMS type mount that only attaches to two of the lugs, not 4 like on your drums or the higher end Gretsch offerings. Because it is only attached to two they put a large rubber 'foot' on the inside of the mount that holds the shell and the mount apart. This rubber 'foot' sits against the outside of the shell, and thus dampens the resonance of the drum in a big way.

What I did is used a bit of thin steel to create a bracket. I took the 'foot' off and attached the bracket through a pre-existing hole in the original mount. You can see the steel in the photos, and you can see how the mount now holds the shell using 3 lugs. I only had to buy some rubber plumbing grommets and an 8mm bolt and nut and lock washer, (I'm a metal artist so I always have tons of steel, copper, brass and stuff lying around).

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Andy,

The original Gretsch set-up on the Catalina's is a RIMS type mount that only attaches to two of the lugs, not 4 like on your drums or the higher end Gretsch offerings. Because it is only attached to two they put a large rubber 'foot' on the inside of the mount that holds the shell and the mount apart. This rubber 'foot' sits against the outside of the shell, and thus dampens the resonance of the drum in a big way.

What I did is used a bit of thin steel to create a bracket. I took the 'foot' off and attached the bracket through a pre-existing hole in the original mount. You can see the steel in the photos, and you can see how the mount now holds the shell using 3 lugs. I only had to buy some rubber plumbing grommets and an 8mm bolt and nut and lock washer, (I'm a metal artist so I always have tons of steel, copper, brass and stuff lying around).
Ah, OK, now I get it! Nice work :) So that single point contact really was making such a difference? I know Mapex & Tama have recently gone down that route, although the Tama version works on 180 degree lugs leaving the rubber stopper only as occasional stabilisation.

sonnygrabber

Yeah, I would say that it made tons of difference to my ears at least. I mean the whole weight of the drum rested on that rubber foot against the shell. Let's consider that the drum weighs 2 kilos, maybe. Because there is really only a pivot point from the two supporting lugs, and that means that all of the weight of the drum was put upon the foot holding the shell away from the mounting. That's kinda like holding the drum at 90 degrees in one hand on the shell and playing it. I've heard a bunch of guys talk about how their hang tom is dead in the Catalina series and I think this is the reason.

This drum is incredibly open now, and fits with the floor tom so much better with the mod. And I have you, Andy, and many others on this forum to thank for your great information and wisdom as to how to maximize any drums' potential. I may not have chosen great drums to begin with, but with that help and some solid work, now I have some drums that are exactly the sound I have heard in my head for years and years.

And don't worry mate, if I have my way I'll be the second Aussie to have a set of your drums at my beck and call. Then these tubs will go to my boy who is showing great promise as we speak, and I'll have the best.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for your kind words. If anything I've said was of help to you, then I'm really pleased about that :) TBH, if your drums are now delivering your ideal sound, the sound you've had in your head for years, I'd stick with them mate :) Good to know your son is showing promise - that's very cool indeed!

sonnygrabber

Ah, don't thank me...thank you, really.

I guess it comes down to wanting something. You and I both know that with driving a Rolls that there is something special about it. About how you feel, and then how you want to make the most of the experience. Sure Michael Schumacher will probably drive it better, but sitting behind the wheel is a defining moment in one's life. To know that you have the opportunity to drive the finest product out there is a special experience, (perhaps Rolls is not the best analogy but there you go).

Yes I said it was the sound that I have heard in my head for years, but that is coming from a relatively small and isolated background. I would love to blow my own expectations away as it were.

If you have a look at Australia, find Perth and go to the south coast...just a little to the east you will find Denmark...a town of about 5000 folks situated amongst improbable 60 meter tall trees and pristine coastlines. With that said I am so far removed from any form of comparison regarding drums. All I have is youtube, no music stores....no frames of reference. And what I have seen in my travels is that what you offer is Rolls, or Ferrari, or Porsche...and for me, as a semi-pro drummer, that is something to look forward to, no?.

mikeo

my catalina club jazz had the rubber stop mount thing.. it rendered the tom basically unusable.. i drilled and mounted straight on the shell... turned the L arm upside down and it resonates like a champ.. i like the diy fix you did by the way.. i admire when people aren't afraid to put their other talents to use

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
my catalina club jazz had the rubber stop mount thing.. it rendered the tom basically unusable.. i drilled and mounted straight on the shell... turned the L arm upside down and it resonates like a champ.. i like the diy fix you did by the way.. i admire when people aren't afraid to put their other talents to use
I took the non-invasive approach and installed a full GTS mount. Different strokes for different folks. All approaches probably sound pretty similar.

sonnygrabber

It would definitely take a bit more thought and logistics to do the mod on a cat jazz or cat maple because of the fact that the lugs are not offset. In my case it was really straight forward.