Cat Maple Snare with Die Cast Hoop

vtran711

I know many dislike the Gretsch Cat Maples especially the snare. For me it's the best snare I've owned. I received a die cast hoop for Xmas and to my beginner ears this thing sings now! So easy to tune the snare from low to high with no overtones. Here's a short recording using EAD10 with minimal post EQ. Snare is tuned about mid-range with no dampening. First half is straight batter and second is with rim shots. I'm still a beginner so this the best I can do.

Cat-Maple-With-DC-Hoop

Last edited:
and to my beginner ears this thing sings now!
Probably because the old steel hoops were warped.
The QA on the Catalina's can be suspect.
One of the sales folks at Guitar Center got a brand new one with warped bass hoops.
Played quite a few on the display floor and some of them sounded like wet cardboard.

I know many dislike the Gretsch Cat Maples especially the snare. For me it's the best snare I've owned. I received a die cast hoop for Xmas and to my beginner ears this thing sings now! So easy to tune the snare from low to high with no overtones. Here's a short recording using EAD10 with minimal post EQ. Snare is tuned about mid-range with no dampening. First half is straight batter and second is with rim shots. I'm still a beginner so this the best I can do.

Cat-Maple-With-DC-Hoop
Those rimshots sound sweet mate! ? ?

Cat-Maple-With-DC-Hoop
Glad you like it - really all that matters. Happy drumming!

Back