cascara question

jungle

Cascara with right hand, and Clave with the left. What do you usually play with your feet?

Last edited:

shadowlorde

i usually play cascara with my right hand on a block and clave with my left foot on high hat left hand does another pattern

jungle

nice:) what about bass drum in afrocuban music. what about feel of bass drum. i think that this left foot clave is next step for me. but i would first try to master it with my hands, and put some ostinato with feet

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I usually play 1 and 3 with my hat, and whatever the context calls for with the bass drum...usually either a baiao or a tumbao pattern (listen to the bass player).

Andrew_H

For learning more about this subject I highly recommend Ed Uribe's The Essence of Afro-Cuban Percussion and Drum Set, Tito Puente's Drumming with the Mambo King, or Malabe and Weiner's Afro-Cuban Rhythms for Drum Set.

A common and simple foot pattern would be hi-hat on 2 and 4 and bass drum on the and of 2.

Have fun!

groovemaster_flex

Silver Member
If you're just starting out, play hats on 2 and 4, bass on 1 and 3. Practice playing all downbeats (1, 2, 3, 4) with your bass and all upbeats (+ of 1-4). I find you can add more of a feel by shifting the bass drum around, although I feel as though some will disagree.