Carter McClean Book

jazzerooty

I picked up Carter McClean's new book, "Drumset: Concepts and Creativity," after reading that it was voted top drum book by Modern Drummer magazine. It came in the mail today...and I must admit that I'm underwhelmed, less-that-impressed. It features and exercise called The Kaleid. oscope. Its a series of single stokes on the snare while you make various accents with various stickings. As you progress, you put in the hi hat and bass drum. Okay, so? Now, I might be off the mark. There may be something I don't realize. So, I'll not say, This book sucks. I'm waiting for someone to enlighten me.

Rock Salad

Bummer
Isn't that kinda what all the books except Stick Control (no accents) are?
I'll buy it from you if you don't want it.
Maybe it's one of those deceptively simple looking deals?

gmiller598

Register your copy and use the digital download files. I have the book and it included a few hours worth of information on downloadable files. There is much more to his playing than notes on a page. I feel like you need to look past what is on the page and find a way to understand the concepts which may be more clearly defined in the companion video. Outside of that it must suck to have the book perfect within a few hours of owning it.

jazzerooty

I watched some of McLean's video accompaniment for the book and its value is clearer to me. There is certainly more content in the video lessons, and it makes the book clear in its concept.

gmiller598

I watched some of McLean's video accompaniment for the book and its value is clearer to me. There is certainly more content in the video lessons, and it makes the book clear in its concept.
Carter is defnitely a groove and feel guy. That stuff won't come through when just reading the notes on a page so I'm glad the video portion of it helps get his intent across. That type of thing just can't be adequately covered in writing alone. Hearing it and seeing it really makes the difference.

sumdrumguy

I've only watched a couple of Carter's videos on YT. After seeing this thread, and doing a search for his book, this video* came up...

If the videos supporting the book are anywhere near as concise, and well demonstrated, it will be a keeper.

I love the simple concept behind what he is doing, and the high level he takes it while emphasizing musicality.

*My first time seeing this video.