Carpets as drum rug?

Whatever you do, use a tight weave and not a deep pile. Drums slip around on that stuff. It's as much to keep your kit from moving as it is to keep the floor unmarked.

OP never mentioned if you need to move it around at all.

At home I have 1 kit set up on an Ikea carpet, since it's in a public room, I thought it should look decent. I'd never move it to different gigs though.

I also have one of those 3x5 rubber backed mats from Home depot or Walmart mentioned by others, and they are perfect for the job, and roll up pretty small. 2 would work for just about any sized set.

Finally I have a black widow drum web. A little pricy for what it is, but it works perfectly and what I like about it, it folds up into a 12"x12" flat square, so I can leave it in the bottom of my hardware bag, and I pull it out for gigs when I find there's a hard floor. I never forget it because it weighs pretty much nothing and can just live at the bottom of the bag.

Thanks guys, great advice! As I am in The Netherlands, there is no Home Depot here, but I found an industrial doormat-type thing. Would that work?

All the best!

Thanks guys, great advice! As I am in The Netherlands, there is no Home Depot here, but I found an industrial doormat-type thing. Would that work?

All the best!

If it works for you is what matters. Weight is certainly an issue with the heavier-duty door mats. The backing can add a lot of pounds/kilos, and you're only young once.

So guys, went to a carpet store and they had some spare carpets in the back, so now I got a 3,5m by 1,5m for €15,-

Cut it to a 2m by 1,5 and a 1,5 by 1,5. I will use the bigger one for home and the small one for gig set up.

Thanks for all the advice, was really helpful!!

I have about 8x8 of plywood put down. This makes a huge deal as playing on soft carpet is NOT the same as a stage. I want it to feel like how I will play. On top of that. $30 walmart/home depot rugs.. nothing fancy,

Mine was being used as sound dampening on a lockup we had, cheap carpet with a rubber back.

It's lived in the boot of my car ever since. Most important piece of gear I own. Nothing worse than runaway bass drum

Noob question of the day, cause Ive only played on that tight club carpeting. Is a rug to stop damage to a hard floor or to stop the kit from sliding away from you....

I use the 6'x8' indoor/outdoor carpet from Menards. It's about $15.
They have different colors but I just use the black one.
Lightweight, and very foldable. The stands stay where they are set, but I do secure (hot glue) little notched stoppers where the bass drum spurs go--same spot every time.
Different types of marking tape will stick to the material also, so set ups are very quick.

Here's a link, but they usually have black in-store.

Industrial mat. Rubber bottomed, tough fibers & easy to roll up & transport. Use gaff tape for position marking.

Back