Carpets as drum rug?

Hey everyone!

I've been doing a little research about drum rugs and all the ones by the big comapnies distrubuted at music stores are crazy expansive in my opinion,(poor student, you know the story... ;) ) so what do you guys use as alternative?

I read online that some go out to local stores to pick up some scrap material or second hand stuff. If I would do so, what should I keep in mind?

Curious about some examples!
All the best!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
As listed above, look for industrial and hardy type things.

I've seen a fair number of the walmart 20-40 dollar things, and they don't last long at all, or even really help much due to how thin they are.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
I have an indoor/outdoor rug from Home Depot that is very thin, so it folds up into a nice compact size that fits into my hardware bag. It was originally 6x8 but I cut it in half so it is 4x6 and it works great as a drum rug.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have an indoor/outdoor rug from Home Depot that is very thin, so it folds up into a nice compact size that fits into my hardware bag. It was originally 6x8 but I cut it in half so it is 4x6 and it works great as a drum rug.
It's gray, right? I use it too. I cut mine too.

It weighs maybe 2 pounds. It's really thin. No backing. But it works, even on tile.

It's inexpensive, lightweight, and rolls up to about the size of a loaf of bread.

What more could a girl want?

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Shop around! I found a 5'x7' area rug for less than $25 a couple of years ago that I roll up and take with me when a rug or carpeting isn't available.

cutaway79

Silver Member
Something worth mentioning...

If you like to mark stand positions with tape on your drum rug, you should get a shorter/tighter pile. The thicker stuff doesn't seem to work as well for that.

force3005

Silver Member
Hi Corporal Clegg and a big welcome to DW. Take a look at a second hand store or Goodwill for a nice rug. Cost between $5-$20 for a nice one.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I bought a 5 x 7 rug, carpet from Home Depot for 30.00. Try a carpet store for a remnant . Regular carpet will be heavy if you need to transport it.

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
Entry Walk Mat Carpet.... Home Depot, Costco etc. Various sizes. Very good ones under 50. I have a couple at least 10-15 years old.

Stroker

Platinum Member
Pay a visit to your local flooring centre and select an old Berber remnant, as Berber is manufactured with a tight weave so no worries over extending the spikes on the hi-hat stand and kick pedals.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I use a 3x5' rubber-backed mat from Home Depot for my small gig kits. It is like an entry may you would find at a restaurant or bank. No slipping issues even without the drum throne on it. They are super light and they roll up very tightly. Less than $20. I have a 5x7' for the larger gig kits.

lsits

Gold Member
I have a 6 by 6 remnant that I bought about 15 years ago. still does the job even with all the drinks and other stuff that gets spilled on it. Not much to look at, though. I think I vacuum it once a year whether it needs it or not. I wouldn't bring it to a high-profile or corporate gig. but I haven't had one of those yet and don't see one on the horizon. Perfect for a bar gig.

Defender

Silver Member
I use a decent sized piece of berber. I use it, because once you place the bass pedal in position, with the velcro strips under it (that came factory on the pedal) there ain't no moving that sucka!! It's stuck there until you peel it up with a little bit of effort. But as long as your bass pedal is clamped nice and tight on your bass drum rim, it works out perfectly and there's literally ZERO movement.

Peace, Defender

Juniper

Gold Member
At home I also use an old Ikea rug we bought for £30 that we were going to throw out.

Whatever stops the carpet from being ruined.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I use an old rug. I just roll it up and throw it on top of everything after it's pack up. Last thing in, first thing out. Makes it easy.

I was at Sams Club yesterday, and they have an 8x10 rug for $35.

T

The SunDog

Go to Home Depot. Go to the rugs. Find a cheap 8x5. Mine cost $20. It's gray, clean and professional. I keep it rolled up in my truck for when I need it.