Carnivore diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Norway looks like a beautiful country; I started watching RailCowGirl videos last year, the vistas through the mountain passes are stunning in Winter.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I think you can consume about half a gram of caffeine with no detriment. All the phosphodiesterase inhibitors, like caffeine, were a big part of my last research projects in understanding cyclic nucleotide mediated vasorelaxation. Cyclic AMP and GMP are second messenger for cell signaling cascades for all sorts of phenomena related muscle to gastric sections, metabolism, etc.
There was a big meta-analysis study of research performed by MDs back in 80s, I think, that found their research mostly crap (I know plenty of excellent MD researchers however)-but that encouraged adoption of programs for med students to get feet wet in research-as I was partly responsible for vascular surgeons rotating through lab-we had one MD/PhD student who was really sharp and still a productive clinician and researcher. Because the US doesn't really support research (only 40%) you'll find more and more brightest and productive post docs sucked up by industry (that raises my concerns of less productive in academic setting). I think there have been some wrong turns in sciences in past-like the insane drive to encourage grad students to specialize-so not just eye but just anterior chamber, cornea or ciliary body. The past departments were very territorial and not very collaborative, and a lot of waste with redundant expensive technology. All that has changed thankfully-though still relics of it persist. The past you'd find several different disciplines studying some phenomena they all gave a name-but it turns out all were studying the same phenomena but clueless of other research because a different field. It's a process-yeah all agree on big picture but the devil is in the details. A recent new study of methane emissions has produced a finding that the majority of methane releases are from human activity ,and not natural sources. Now this is in stark contrast to hundreds of previous publications finding a majority natural sources. How do you console the two? Well you wait for better studies/data and cautiously weight this study.

Doraemon

If I was to name a true Norwegian national dish, it would probably be a frozen pizza called Pizza Grandiosa that's actually made in our neighbouring town Stranda.

Traditional food and pre Christian culture we've not been very good at preserving, though there is probably increasing interest in both.

Thanks for those amazing mountain pics! Norway is a place I really want to visit one day, most of my fav bands are there..
What is a frozen pizza, do you eat it like ice cream?!

Jeremy Crockett

Not wanting to derail that with a serious point, but anyone who has been on a longish tour, not enough sleep, playing long shows several days a week, soon learns to be a nutritionalist, especially with drums being such a physical instrument.

And, in the same vein, were we to ask any number of folks with physically demanding jobs (roofers, HVAC mechanics, auto mechanics, etc.) the diets they preferred; we would get a diversity of opinions that, as far as those positing them are concerned, are facts and "the way to eat".

I get it, we all want to justify what we "know" to be true. I'm just amused at some of the topics we message board folk choose to debate. And, I do not exempt myself from that population.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
You can get a good pizza, just not from the frozen food aisle. That Italian is being very nice btw. It's complete crap.

Nutrition I've studied probably as much as my other thing of teaching music.

I learned to question both pretty close to the same time. Early teens. Some doors were opened and down the rabbit hole you go. Tried it all and continued studying. The more you know....

Last edited:

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
And, in the same vein, were we to ask any number of folks with physically demanding jobs (roofers, HVAC mechanics, auto mechanics, etc.) the diets they preferred; we would get a diversity of opinions that, as far as those positing them are concerned, are facts and "the way to eat".
Sure, by and large most trades people have terrible diets: chocolate bars, french fries, donuts etc.
When you are the drummer on the 12 month tour, you can't cancel a show, you can't coast on the nights you are tired, a bit under the weather.
Anyone who has been on a longer tour is usually hip to healthy diets, vitamin supplements etc.
It's not BS, it's how people get through those gigs without letting thousands of people down or losing their job.
I've had a builder over the summer and he's been off the job for several weeks on and off with various ailments.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
That's beautiful. Looks a bit too cold for my liking. But then again its probably too hot here for most folks.

Heaven!!!
As for breakfast, I pick and choose (graze) throughout the day then have a sensible dinner. I dont eat until my body tells me to. If it doesnt tell me to, I don't eat.

I view food as fuel. Last nights dinner is this mornings fuel. I dont need to fuel/work/fuel/work/fuel. That's lopsided. I need to work/fuel/work/fuel.

The coffee helps wake up, but that's about it.

same here. I need to be awake at least 3-4 hours before I can put food in my stomach It all comes back up if I do so

and no cofffee for me. Just plain old water

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I had no idea that so many drummers were Nutritionists too!🧐😃

i guess I look at myself as a human first, who tries to make balanced, conciensious choices about my life.

I research all aspects of my life to gain just enough knowledge to keep things in balance

I am not a nutritionist by trade, but having had a heart attack, and type 2 diabetes, I have been immersed in correcting my nutrition for the past 15 years, and feel like i have learned enough to make a semi educated decision on the topic. And I am still learning about it, even via this thread

I AM a percussion teacher/player by trade, and even given that, I don't feel like I am an expert yet on this either. Even having been immersed in this activity through playing, going to college, going to clinics and symposiums or the past 30 years etc. I feel like I have learned just enough to make a semi educated decision on the topic. And I am still learning about it, even via this forum.

I guess I am just trying to say that there is education everywhere....you just have to look for it

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I would love to see a touring drummer spend a hot sunny day on a roof and still proclaim how they are harder workers than those in the construction industry.

Drummers complain about moving hardware and drums. A bundle of shingles weighs between 60 and 80 pounds. Pick it up, put it on your shoulder and climb a ladder with it. Now do that 50 times.

Some of the things I read on here are just plain stupid.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
There's no reason to force a meal down early in the day if you're not hungry. The point is to listen to your body. I've always been a breakfast person and I also don't sleep well when I eat too late.

We can all probably agree on avoiding the processed foods and refined sugar. Crisco, Melange as we call a similar product here, shortening basically of various types, is to me something I got for fun to make candles. It's one of the first things I just let go those many years ago.

After that comes the details of these other things which can go extremely deep and unless you happen how have obvious intolerances it's more long term and generational. My issue is with the everyone knows type of information, because it's generally not current and it's not hard to find someone equally educated and experienced with the opposite opinion. Then it's up to you to both go beyond the surface, what's in main stream media and also just experiment yourself. We don't know everything., Much of the science is wrong because it's corrupt to begin with. A hundred years from now people will laugh at it. When it comes to something like e.g. probiotics everyone is pretty clueless. It's just best guesses and that goes for a lot of other things that are considered established truths, as well. Generally, people don't like change, they also like to just follow the crowd which doesn't make anything easier, in any field. When all is said and done, your health is not your doctor's responsibility, it's yours.

That's one of the revelations to me. All this science, all the so called experts, it is just best guesses quite often with so little actual evidence it becomes a joke. It may sometimes be due to lack of funding, but much more likely it's due to the wishes of those who are funding the research. This isn't just with health and nutrition. This is everywhere where someone with an agenda has the money to influence and get the results they want. Politics, any type statistic..

I won't put every one in one category, but people in physically demanding jobs are rarely a picture of health. They get by on sugar and caffeine and after work they're so exhausted they'll eat any kind of crap and they frequently do. Smoking has gone down a bit, probably just because it's become more of a hassle in certain jobs, but if you're not in an environment with those types of rules and a stressful job lighting your next cigarette with the one you have in your mouth all day is not uncommon. Needing a party and getting wasted to unwind is also more likely. Somewhat speaking from experience.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
The reason why at least low carb is recommended for T2D is obviously that the rise in bs is less. With a high fat approach although your blood sugar may stay above fasting glucose longer the insulin response is very low and that seems to be the main interest for research right now, at least to the people I'm following.

For me, when it comes to the cholesterol thing, it's very easy to compare many attitudes to those of the outdated narcs I've had to deal with and do a lot of damage in my own job. I can see in seconds if someone is reflected or socialized. Though not not real gaslighting it is very much the behavior of a flying monkey. To them it comes down to this is how it's always been so that's how it is. The concept of new research just seems to go right above their head create a bit of cognitive dissonance.

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
That's one of the revelations to me. All this science, all the so called experts, it is just best guesses quite often with so little actual evidence it becomes a joke. It may sometimes be due to lack of funding, but much more likely it's due to the wishes of those who are funding the research. This isn't just with health and nutrition. This is everywhere where someone with an agenda has the money to influence and get the results they want. Politics, any type statistic..
Yeah, I just don't buy it. Advice gets slightly modified over time, but the general census once arrived at usually stay true to it's core.
Again, there are so many different university funding approaches, health systems in highly commercial scenarios (like USA) or social scenarios like most of Europe. They've all come to basically the same conclusions.
Sports people are all on similar diets. The research in their field is to achieve results, not to make money for the researcher.
It's all part of this growing cynicism of science - which is wrong headed IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.