Carmine Appice

frizlfry

I have to agree with Sticks of Fury on this. Carmine was the first to rock 2 oversize bass drums, twirl the sticks, grabbing the cymbals...this was back in the late sixties. Way before his time.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I have to agree with Sticks of Fury on this. Carmine was the first to rock 2 oversize bass drums, twirl the sticks, grabbing the cymbals...this was back in the late sixties. Way before his time.
Dave Clark did two of the 3 back in the early 60's.

DrumWild

My first drum clinic was headed up by Carmine, at Paul Mueller Studios in Indianapolis Indiana, on February 4, 1984. Cost $35 bucks. He taught us some important lessons, such as how the purple in his hair is something that can be washed out.

It was quite the experience. Used the last photo available on my camera to take a picture.

TOMANO

Is it pronounced A-peace or A-pi-cee? I've heard it both ways.
I've known Carmine for many years. He's explained this to me. His pronunciation is A-peace, Vinnie's is A-pi-cee. They did it early on to distinguish their individuality. How the name is actually pronounced is debatable.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I love his drum book.
It was one of my early books when I was in the first few years of drumming, and I have been using it with my students for 16 years now. It's always been my go-to.

I've only met Carmine once, he was nice. I've hung with his brother a few times and he's even nicer.

The only thing I can say about Carmine that's kind of a turn off is that in many interviews he takes credit for things others are known for. Like getting Bonham his endorsement with Ludwig and showing him the single foot triplet. Who's to say if that's true or not, but going around spouting that off all the time bothered me.
He also jumps endorsements all the time. He's with Mapex, no Slingerland, wait ddrum, Sabian, Aquarian, no Evens, Istanbul? I'm brand loyal and although I' have switch companies a couple times it's always been for good reason and I have no plans of ever playing anything else other than what I have right now. I've even turned down bigger, better deals from other brands just to stick with what I have and love.
That kind of brand jumping spreads in the industry and companies will shy away from you for it. No one wants to sign an artist who's just going to jump ship in 6 months.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
That kind of brand jumping spreads in the industry and companies will shy away from you for it. No one wants to sign an artist who's just going to jump ship in 6 months.
Unless you're Buddy Rich.

I wonder if Carmine and Vinnie were competitive with each other. can imagine that if my brother were a drummer we'd be constantly trying to outdo each other.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I wonder if Carmine and Vinnie were competitive with each other. can imagine that if my brother were a drummer we'd be constantly trying to outdo each other.
There is a big difference in age between them. Carmine had already left home and was touring when Vinnie was still learning drums.

Although once Vinnie did an in-store appearance when I was working at Drum World in San Francisco. Vinnie picked up a copy of Modern drummer, turned to the page where Carmine was in. Keep in mind, it was the 80's so there was Carmine with various ladies under garments hanging from his drum kit. Vinnie starts mocking Carmine's set up with the under wear. Though it was very tongue in check, brotherly love kind of thing.

In the last several years they've been doing their "Drum Wars" show where they advertise "brother vs brother" but in the show itself it's nothing but respect between them. I never sensed any competitiveness.

gish

I've always felt that Vinny was a great rock drummer. Very good hands, and fast right foot. His playing has some depth; great feel IMO. No offense to anyone but Carmine's playing never did anything for me. He never had the chops to be considered a great technical drummer, and to me his playing lacks feel. He sure has had a great career though.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I love his drum book.
It was one of my early books when I was in the first few years of drumming, and I have been using it with my students for 16 years now. It's always been my go-to.

I've only met Carmine once, he was nice. I've hung with his brother a few times and he's even nicer.

The only thing I can say about Carmine that's kind of a turn off is that in many interviews he takes credit for things others are known for. Like getting Bonham his endorsement with Ludwig and showing him the single foot triplet. Who's to say if that's true or not, but going around spouting that off all the time bothered me.
He also jumps endorsements all the time. He's with Mapex, no Slingerland, wait ddrum, Sabian, Aquarian, no Evens, Istanbul? I'm brand loyal and although I' have switch companies a couple times it's always been for good reason and I have no plans of ever playing anything else other than what I have right now. I've even turned down bigger, better deals from other brands just to stick with what I have and love.
Lot's of drum whore$ out there ,Buddy,Erskin,Cobham ,Colaiuta to name a few.
When it's all said and done ,the top companies all make drums most folks would give their first born for.
Given the choice between a Lamborghini, Ferrari or Bentley is a no lose situation.

Tony Marz

Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge Bonham and LZ fan.
I was once ignorant about Carmine.
That was before I actually did my homework on the guy.
Regarding his "self-promotion" about helping Bonham;
The reason why he keeps talking about it is because people keep asking him about it!
He'll never live it down.
Regarding his endorsements;
Wouldn't you want to try different sounds if you had the chance?
Plus as already stated: Buddy, Vinny, Peter, the list goes on and on with guys who "jump ship"
Gimme a break man.
All this plus, Carmine was the recording a touring drummer for the greatest heavy rock band of the 80's....Blue Murder.
Check it out kids.

PS:
also...
check this video of Carmine doing a Rock And Roll type drum ending solo all the way back in 1969.
Solo comes at the end.
Peace out my dudes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yl8u2vGuwc

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Wow....who got that ending from who? My guess, Bonham heard/saw Appice do it and made it his own. I think Carmine deserves all the respect in the world! Discovering him, in his place in time, was a huge eye opener for me.

NouveauCliche

I think that Carmine Appice should be in Modern Drummer magazine's Drum Hall of Fame. He should have been in there ten years ago. He is one of the best rock drummers of all time. He is more talented on drums than Bonham was. Appice was more technical than Bonham and had more chops. Appice is good at double bass. Powerful. Good triplets. Played funky beats. Ghost strokes. Plays in odd time. He seems to be able to play a lot of styles. Very good soloist. He played excellent on the BBA album from 1973. Some of that stuff was proggy and funky. He's basically a legendary drummer and clinician and teacher and goodwill ambassador for the drums. And he claims he came up with the double bass shuffle in '72 and that Cobham and Van Halen took it and made it famous. He didn't seem bitter about it. He's better than his brother, Vinny. Vinny is good at hard hitting rock/metal. Carmine also claims that he used the first gong in rock and he invented the hi-hat anchor to hold the hi-hat onto the bass drum. Interesting.

He was the cooooolest when he played with Vanilla Fudge - what a showman.

Very cool player!!

C.M. Jones

I have no problem with Carmine's drumming. He's a legend, and that's all there is to it. But I prefer brother Vinnie's work, probably because of my soft spot for Dio.