Carlock in, Phillips out

There is also another youtube toto video now with a Carlock solo.

When I listen to Rosanna, there is a strong 8th note pulse. With Porcaro this would be more smothened out, so the shuffle would become more prominent. This may howeever be because of the PA mix.
Anyway Carlock is very effective and I am sure the band is very happy.

There is also another youtube toto video now with a Carlock solo.

When I listen to Rosanna, there is a strong 8th note pulse. With Porcaro this would be more smothened out, so the shuffle would become more prominent. This may howeever be because of the PA mix.
Anyway Carlock is very effective and I am sure the band is very happy.

You can really hear the 8th note pulse on the video. I think thats a combination of how Keith plays and the mix (notice hardly any snare in the mix in comparison to the hi hat hat) If you watch his arm movement he is really digging into that 8th note.

D

From Simon's personal FB page:

I am deeply touched by this outpouring of expression…
… yes, it is true - after 21 years I have called my time with Toto.

Simon Phillips - Jan 24, 2014

According to Toto's site, a studio album is already in the works.

21 years! I guess it's time to move on. Thanks for keeping the beat Simon; Keith will get the job done. What next Simon?

GJS

As it seems, Carlock in now out. Shannon Forrest is doing Toto's world tour, as Keith choose Steely Dan over Toto. From the people I know, that also know Luke and Shannon, this is permanent. Carlock did record the new Toto XIV album, though.

I agree with this. He doesn't have the chops that Simon Phillips has but I think if you're looking for someone that played the way Jeff Porcaro did, he'd be a great fit.

I blend of Porcaro and Phillips for me would be Dennis Chambers. That'd be smoking.

I bet Steve Jordon could serve the Toto gig well.

Back