Carl Palmer

I personally would call Carl one of my favorite drummers and an influence on me ever since I got into ELP a while back and his drumming particularly stands out more than the other instruments since I find it to be the loudest in the recording. With that being said, I've always loved the sound of his snare drum and to me, it sounds like it's the perfect snare sound you'd want out of it. I don't really know if it's the snare drum he's using (most likely), heads he's using, muffling, or it's all mixed to the point where it sounds better than the Black Moon sound if it's acoustic (totally not a cheesy joke). But anyways, Carl will always remain a favorite of mine.

An amazing drummer, but his playing doesn't always speak to me and my finicky tastes. One track that fully speaks to me, and always did, even before I had a real drumming conscious, is Lucky Man. Heard it on the radio today and it still gives me that buzz, that buzz that the yummiest drumming gives me. Great stuff, thanks for listening and letting me have someone to share these feelings with.

I saw EL&P in Dallas. Had a floor seat fairly close. The highlight of the show for me was Palmer's solo. He had a series of gongs hanging high around a big kit. He drums awhile then for the finale, he stands with two mallets and begins hitting all these gongs. Drum riser begins to rotate faster and faster, as he's hitting the gongs faster with the rotation. Then a strobe light kicks in. The riser was hauling ass at the crescendo with Palmer in the middle if it all furiously smashing the hanging gongs. i have no idea how he kept his balance, I would have been hurling.

Last edited:
Such a big influence on me and my early days I went out and bought a 48" gong. Took it everyplace I played. Love ELP.

Attachments

• IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 179
I remember in 1973 or '74 watching ELP live on Midnight Special at a high school marching band member party. Us drummers were in awe. He was great with ELP.

When I listen to "Heat of the Moment" or " Only Time will Tell" , it seems that Carl tends to play almost in front of the beat for more momentum in the song. Has anyone else noticed this?

Well that's his thing, playing in front of the beat, in order to add excitement I think he said at some point. I like the way he played in the past, before he got into double bass drums, but one has to take him for what he is and not compare him with "pocket drummers".

I am going to see Carl Palmer June 29 at Meadowbrook in Guildord NH. The bill has Yes, Asia and an ELP Tribute band of which I would imagine Carl is in. He is an incredible drummer. I am looking forward to this show.

I just saw him in New Hampshire with his ELP tribute band and then in his Asia tribute band. Carl Palmer hasnt lost a beat. He plays and sounds the same as he did when he was 19.

In college as a music major, playing along with ELP Live with mostly the Brain Salad Surgury songs and Tarkus probably influenced me the most of any drummer at the time. I felt comfortable playing his style and could relate to the way he played.

That man has always been in tip top shape. You've been able to tell since their original 1992 reunion that he was way fitter than Emerson and Lake. His efforts to keep in shape are really paying off now that he can continue to play at that caliber into his 70s.

Let this be a lesson to you all to stay fit and in shape! Your older self will thank you.

Saw him on the Asia reunion in 2006, he's bloody good live.

Him and his bro Steve are both amazing players. I had a year of lessons from Steve, he's a great latin teacher. Quite amazing for a bloke from Handsworth in Birmingham :ROFLMAO:

Back