Carl Palmer Venus snare

pgm554

Platinum Member
Sure it's not the snare basket laying flat?
I have an email from Ludwig that says they effed up.
It doesn't get any more clear than that.

From the email:

Dear Sir,
You recently contacted us concerning a design flaw with a Carl Palmer Venus snare that you purchased. First, I want to assure you that we take customer feedback very seriously and will do our best to turn your negative experience with our product into a positive one. I have watched the video you supplied and I agree with your assessment that the current throw-off design does not provide sufficient clearance of the wires from the bottom head when disengaged. Our new design engineer Ryan Taylor is investigating this issue and may contact you with additional questions concerning your experience and/or for your thoughts on design improvements. Your email indicated that you have returned the defective snare to the dealer for refund/exchange. If this is correct, I would like to contact the dealer and arrange for some type of additional compensation for your frustration with your original purchase. Please provide me with your name, address and phone number, as well as the dealer you purchased the snare from, so I can make that arrangement. In closing I would like say that at Ludwig we understand and appreciate that our customers are our most valuable asset. Your candid and honest feedback, although humbling, is an important part of our efforts to continuously improve our products.

pgm554

Platinum Member
It appears as if Ludwig has fixed this snare ,but the new models will not ship until August.
So if you like the sound ,but hate the current design ,you may get your wish.

TMdrummer

Just picked up a Ludwig Carl Palmer Signature Venus Snare Drum at the Carl Palmer ELP Legacy concert in Buffalo, NY. Initial impressions: very solid well-built drum. Swapped out the supplied signed batter head by Carl, with an Evans '56 Calftone batter head. Carl did recommend swapping the supplied batter head for a Remo Emperor will play it for a while with the Evans Calftone to see how that works out but so far it's good. Tuned it up and quite pleased with it so far: good 'pop' and surprising amount of resonance and 'depth' for a shallow metal shell snare drum. Good stick articulation from 'piano' to 'forte'. Great rim-shots and cross stick sound. Not too keen on the supplied snare cords may swap them out for plastic or fabric tape down the road. Overall pleased with my purchase so far a good addition to my snare drum collection.

charliedrummer

Do all of these come with a signed batter head or was this done as part of the Legacy concert you attended? I was aware that the paper label inside the shell was signed but this is the first I heard that the batter head was signed.

TMdrummer

Well now I am not exactly sure..I know each drum has inside tag signed by Carl but I think the batter head was signed at the concert venue as part of the merchandise promotions..the head was signed on the drum I bought there. I paid approximately $40.00 premium over the going retail price for the drum for the batter head signed..that's OK it's worth it to me to have his signature on the batter head and have my photo taken with him holding the drum at the 'meet and greet' following the concert. After a bit of playing time on the drum..love it it's a good little drum. The signed batter head will go into a display with the concert ticket and the photo taken of Carl and me with the drum. Cheers.