Carbon Fiber Drum Set by Monolith

C

Crazy8s

Carbon fiber and fiberglass shells can have one important benefit over other wood and metals. They can be much lighter. MUCH lighter, if designed well. Since it is so much lighter, it could have incredible low pitch for any certain sized shells. This could mean smaller drums of lower fundamental pitch, and also lighter drums in general.

They also have a certain aesthetic and finishing appeal. Since they are already smooth when they are done in the mold, they sand out quickly and you can paint them right away.

They are also relatively low impact environmentally. Trees are but naturally assembled carbon fibers in a variety of weaves and colors. Raw carbon is easy to get from Mother Earth. The epoxies and resins can be environmentally inert too.

All in all, I think it is one of the best materials for drums. Think of it as hyper-refined tree fibers. The engineering possibilities for drums alone are innumerable, and it is being way under-utilized IMHO.

you can also get carbon fiber wet and not have to worry about warpage or any other problems.
now possible rusting of hardware is another issue but on my kawasaki ninja zx10 i have a carbon fiber exhaust system and other various parts . also its very heat resistant as opposed to wood.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
They are also relatively low impact environmentally. Trees are but naturally assembled carbon fibers in a variety of weaves and colors. Raw carbon is easy to get from Mother Earth

Whoa, that just blows my mind to think that!

Why not make clarinets, trumpets, violins or anything else out of carbon fiber? I played with a guitarist who had a carbon fiber acoustic and it had beautiful tone - clear, strong and bright.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
There is currently no accepted and approved method for recycling Carbon Fiber products.
The worlds automotive and aircraft industries are currently working on it.
It is a type of plastic material.

C

Crazy8s

Whoa, that just blows my mind to think that!

Why not make clarinets, trumpets, violins or anything else out of carbon fiber? I played with a guitarist who had a carbon fiber acoustic and it had beautiful tone - clear, strong and bright.

They have replicated Strativarius violins sound capabilities with specially engineered plastics. Yes, an injection molded violin...

I imagine they have made many instruments from composites, but some instruments would be quite difficult to make.

I've seem some wicked C/F guitars and basses that sounded spectacular.

C

Crazy8s

There is currently no accepted and approved method for recycling Carbon Fiber products.
The worlds automotive and aircraft industries are currently working on it.
It is a type of plastic material.

Umm, what? It's 100% carbon fibers, just like pure soot or graphite or diamond, embedded in carbon based plastic.

Wanna reclaim it and use it another way? You burn it and collect the carbon.

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Just a quick update, I'm driving down to Baltimore to pick this set up tomorrow, here's a picture :D Look how the lugs mount on these things, pretty cool stuff! Also take a look at how the mounting bracket attaches, how awesome is that?

41286_432600238345_322995898345_4923297_5811138_n.jpg

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Umm, what? It's 100% carbon fibers, just like pure soot or graphite or diamond, embedded in carbon based plastic.

Wanna reclaim it and use it another way? You burn it and collect the carbon.

...also relatively low impact environmentally.

The resins used in fabricating carbon fiber products are wicked-toxic. Phenol, formaldehyde, TETA, DETA usually make up the hardener (the chemical heat generator that cures/hardens the resins). Once cured, OK, but working with it can poison you. Burn epoxy or poly resin and produce toxic fumes, not good for the environment.

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Hey everyone, I was recently in contact with Bill Hibbs, who owns Monolith drums. Evidently, Monolith is still around! I found out that the drums that I own are from the Stargate series, and I got additional information regarding their serial numbers. The drums are from pretty early on, with the earliest one being the 57th Monolith drum made!

You can find Monolith drums on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001451847724

And here's a recent photo of my Monolith setup, just for fun!

268848_10150238848798346_322995898345_7129670_4166788_n.jpg

Track

Those look sweet! How are they sounding? FWIW, I have an older DW carbon fiber snare and really love the thing. It goes high, it goes reasonably low (for a 5x14) and has an impressive amount of sensitivity and projection. I've received several compliments on it and I hope you get the same!

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Those look sweet! How are they sounding? FWIW, I have an older DW carbon fiber snare and really love the thing. It goes high, it goes reasonably low (for a 5x14) and has an impressive amount of sensitivity and projection. I've received several compliments on it and I hope you get the same!

They sound awesome! I have lots of videos with them on my Youtube channel, if you want to go check them out. My favorite part about them is how little they weigh though, its amazing!

drummage

Hello, I’m looking for a carbon fiber kit in great condition. Anthony, 516-323-1234 or 848-202-4321. Thank you!