Can't take PDP seriously somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I just read the other posts in this thread and there is a lot of misinformation about PDP's drums.

For one, only the Platinums we're made with Hard Rock Maple. Every other Maple kit PDP has ever made is made of other Maple. That includes all the other Mexican made shells and the new Concept series.

Two, at no time has PDP made a drum with the same shell as a DW. As mentioned before, PDP only made a hard rock maple shell for the Platinums. That shell is an 8 ply shell with inner and outer plays as being horizontal and no plys are diagonal or X. No DW shell has this same play layup.

Last edited:
Ugh, I just read the other posts in this thread and there is a lot of misinformation about PDP's drums.

For one, only the Platinums we're made with Hard Rock Maple. Every other Maple kit PDP has ever made is made of other Maple. That includes all the other Mexican made shells and the new Concept series.

Two, at no time has PDP made a drum with the same shell as a DW. As mentioned before, PDP only made a hard rock maple shell for the Platinums. That shell is an 8 ply shell with inner and outer plays as being horizontal and no plus are diagonal or X. No DW shell has this same play layup.

I agree that Pacific wasn't doing any of DW's funky ply-layups, but the LX and CX series did use the same maple as DW. At the time Pacific was in Mexico the veneers were shipped directly from the DW factory.

I love the sound of my PDP kit. I got mine new around 2007 - fs series in satin tobacco burst 22/10/12/14/14. No hardware issues for me although I don’t like the DW type tom holder as they wrap through the lugs. I feel it chokes the sound a bit, other than that I have no problem with them.

Attachments

• B35B3067-18B0-4315-A220-AD367D05AD09.jpeg
    B35B3067-18B0-4315-A220-AD367D05AD09.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 83
...but the LX and CX series did use the same maple as DW. At the time Pacific was in Mexico the veneers were shipped directly from the DW factory.

If this were true PDP would have mentioned specifically using NA hard rock maple for these series of drums, but every catalogue dating back to those drums never mentions it. They do, however, specifically point out that the Platinums are NA hard rock maple.

At the time, DW was building the first couple years of the Performance series drums in the Ensenida plant, and yes the wood they used to make Collectors kits was split up and sent to Mexico for the building of the Platinum and Performance series, but it wasn't used in the CX or MX drums or else they would have said it in their marketing material. This is DW after all. They do like to make a big deal about their products in their marketing.

Truth is, hard rock maple or not, you likely could never hear the sound difference. I have owned a Collectors kit and a Concept Maple side by side and neither one proved to be a better sounding kit. They both sounded pretty much identical despite their construction differences.

It seems from this thread that PDP today is not PDP of the 2000s. I agree with those who see the brand being phased out even though it hasn't happened in the 2+ years of this thread. Note that the Concept Series is actually listed on the DW website below Design Series.

No one mentioned this, but if PDP or the market that PDP created -- good shells at a lower price -- allows you to upgrade the heads and get better hardware and cymbals, or to add another kit for different performance situations, in practical terms that is a better outcome than you would get with higher-end drums.

Hey @Fritz Frigursson do you still feel the same way about PDP now almost 2.5 years later as you did when you started the thread?

I have 2 of their stands and a lightweight throne. I like the stands just fine. The throne becomes uncomfortable after a couple hours. I have no experience with their drums.

The real problem with PDPs is when you're sitting at the bar during your break and another drummer sits down next to you and says "Cool...PDPs" I play DWs myself then you have to lie and say these are your gigging drums and your Collector's series never leave your house and then your whole night is ruined by some girl talking in run on sentences.

The real problem with PDPs is when you're sitting at the bar during your break and another drummer sits down next to you and says "Cool...PDPs" I play DWs myself then you have to lie and say these are your gigging drums and your Collector's series never leave your house and then your whole night is ruined by some girl talking in run on sentences.

I've never done that!?

Hey @Fritz Frigursson do you still feel the same way about PDP now almost 2.5 years later as you did when you started the thread?

I have 2 of their stands and a lightweight throne. I like the stands just fine. The throne becomes uncomfortable after a couple hours. I have no experience with their drums.
yeah i still do. i will admit their new snares are nice but i still consider them an “almost DW” and would much rather get a kit from a real standalone brand. i have no idea about their hardware because i only use yamaha stands (still convinced they are the best) but their pedals still don’t look anything like a DW and their direct drive pedals are the worst looking pedals i have ever seen. it’s like seeing a buff guy who skipped leg day and has 8” calfs. i will say their logo is all right now but the name just doesn’t stick with me. simply said i won’t buy a squier, i won’t buy an epiphone, so by the same logic i won’t get a PDP. i won’t get a purposely inferior version of a thing that already exists. i will either save up for a real DW or buy another brand kit.

also how do people find these old threads

For me, the PDP B.O.A. eats all DW pedals/hh stands including the MDD's in feel, and certainly in price if you can get one.

Also, some Squire models are quite useful (like the Gardner which is a P with a slim jazz neck) and get you the same output in the workflow.

Last edited:
For me, the PDP B.O.A. eats all DW pedals/hh stands including the MDD's in feel, and certainly in price if you can get one.

Also, some Squire models are quite useful (like the Gardner which is a P with a slim jazz neck) and get you the same output in the workflow.
yes but if i want a strat i will buy a fender, if i want an LP i will buy a gibson not an epiphone. Of course there are model exceptions, like the short scale P bass is only avaliable as a squier (and is very well priced too). But if the original product was made by a certain brand then why stop at its cheaper alternative?

yes but if i want a strat i will buy a fender, if i want an LP i will buy a gibson not an epiphone. Of course there are model exceptions, like the short scale P bass is only avaliable as a squier (and is very well priced too). But if the original product was made by a certain brand then why stop at its cheaper alternative?
I think, because some people don't have that money (for some PDP -Collector's models it's more than 1k difference) but want the sound, not necessarily the hype/name where you pay a lot for besides the options.

Some models aren't even available in the Collector's line. Like the 20 ply snares, Classic models, and American Vintage models.

I think, because some people don't have that money (for some PDP -Collector's models it's more than 1k difference) but want the sound, not necessarily the hype/name where you pay a lot for besides the options.

Some models aren't even available in the Collector's line. Like the 20 ply snares, Classic models, and American Vintage models.
personal preference I guess, but I would rather save up for a collectors. There is a lot more to a drum than its sound and I'm not going to spend money on a kit I do not like.

personal preference I guess, but I would rather save up for a collectors. There is a lot more to a drum than its sound and I'm not going to spend money on a kit I do not like.
I didn't do that either and spend over 6k on a Collector's, hardware, and snare.

But it took me over two decades of saving and flipping and tasting what I like and don't like to get here. For people starting out or for those who don't know what they like yet, PDP is great for them.

At the end of the night, the girl drives by with the Collectors owner in a convertible with the Collectors in the back seat. They wave and honk at the PDP owner who is waiting for the bus.

There is a lot more to a drum than its sound and I'm not going to spend money on a kit I do not like.

This is a really important point IMO. If you don't "like" your gear you won't be motivated to practice, get better, and/or be syched to play out with other people. That is a bad outcome, particularly for someone starting out. I think "beginner" instruments are a false economy. It is hard enough to get good at playing a musical instrument without having to overcome the limitations (or your dislike) of an instrument.

My guide for all my other instruments has been pro but not custom. My PDP CXs might not get me into the convertible, but I did not compromise on the cymbals, pedals, and hardware.

Last edited:
Damn! I love this thread. All of your responses are truly therapy for me. You are all so frikkin spot on!. I'm so lucky to be able to get inside your minds. What a bad ass hang. You guys totally rule!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back