Can't Move Away From Clear 1ply's

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
I have always tried to setup my 2nd kit to have a separate and distinct (but just as good) sound from the other. I have clear G1's on the main kit. Everytime I try something else, something is just missing.

Clear G2 - lot more attack than I am used to
Coated G2 - Have not tried yet.
EC2- the tamed top end is so different
Hydraulics - Nuff said
White Suede - Not terrible but out of production it seems
Coated G1 - "soft" - hard to describe.

I just picked up a stage custom as my number 2. I though birch vs maple would help seperate the 2. The stock heads where actually pretty nice once they were tuned up. I really want to differentiate the 2 but I need to actually like the sound. I think I may just need to put on something different and fight through the initial stages.....

Anyone been through this?

I use G12s on rack toms and G14s on floor toms. Still single ply but a different sound than G1s.

Since you probably already have these heads laying about, why not try different resonant heads? Get away from the 10mil stuff. Try the Reso 7 or a coated 2-ply head.

Well ..... in the end ...... you like what you like. And perhaps your "pallet" is just more narrowly focused. Also, what's your 1st kit? Perhaps it's too similar (construction, shell layout, etc.) For you to really embrace "a totally different" sound.

Since your 1st kit is maple ..... maybe coated heads on it, would be a better alternative. Or coated batter/clear reso. Take advantage of the natural warmth of the maple shell. Birch tends to boost the highs .... reduce the mids .... have good low end punch. Maple tends to have a more balanced high/mid mix, and have warmer lows.

Another possible option. Remo Powerstroke3 or Controlled Sound (Black Dot) heads. I've recently put coated PS3 heads (clear ambassador reso.) on my RMV maple (Bapeva) drums, and they sound killer (at least to me).

Well ..... in the end ...... you like what you like. And perhaps your "pallet" is just more narrowly focused. Also, what's your 1st kit? Perhaps it's too similar (construction, shell layout, etc.) For you to really embrace "a totally different" sound.

Since your 1st kit is maple ..... maybe coated heads on it, would be a better alternative. Or coated batter/clear reso. Take advantage of the natural warmth of the maple shell. Birch tends to boost the highs .... reduce the mids .... have good low end punch. Maple tends to have a more balanced high/mid mix, and have warmer lows.

Another possible option. Remo Powerstroke3 or Controlled Sound (Black Dot) heads. I've recently put coated PS3 heads (clear ambassador reso.) on my RMV maple (Bapeva) drums, and they sound killer (at least to me).
The Powerstroke 3's are too dead. The Black Dots are an interesting option. I have considered them as reso heads to help quiet down the rumble ofthe floor toms in the studio. A gaff tape radiator on the G1 does the same thing

Someone mentioned the 12 and 14 mil 1 ply options. I tried the old 14mil EC1's way back when. It like hitting a table top. Didn't care for it but a 12mil might be worth looking at.

I have two suggestions one of which is already on the table:

1. Try the g12. I have a lot of experience with them and found them to be exactly what they are commonly described as, a middle ground between single ply and double ply heads. You get a slight increase in attack, pitch, and durability beyond a typical sigle ply while maintaining a similar sustain and not being as dead/thuddy/plasticy as a doubly ply head.

2. Calftone, but only if you aren't a basher. These are extremely unique heads that don't get enough love due to most players having far too heavy of a hand. They have plenty of sustain thanks to being single ply but the fiber coating gives a fantastic warmth and roundness to your sound. They can make sharp modern bearing edges sound and feel like roundovers or old thick shells. They are only a 7 mil base film but they are thicker in the end due to the fiber coating. They are known to bubble, up to you to determine if it matters or not. If find it to be purely visual but still frustrating at times.

The most versatile option would be to try the g12. I've got a 12" coated g12 that is barely used (less then 1 hour play on it) you can have for free if you pay shipping.

I wonder how the G12 compares with Vintage Ambassadors? The Vintage are two ply but only 10.5 mill thick-7.5 and 3-or something like that vs a thicker one ply 12 mil. I like to play brushes on toms as well as snare so I tend to go coated, and I picked the Vintage as a compromise between ambassador and emperors.

You seem stuck on Evans. Give Remo and Aquarian some love. They might have what you are looking for.

You seem stuck on Evans. Give Remo and Aquarian some love. They might have what you are looking for.

I mean if you love heads that constantly stretch out and cost more, Remo is great. And if you want to cut your drum volume in half while simultaneously making them sound like Rubbermaid containers, aquarian is pretty cool too!

I kid, I kid, I am an evans guy so I have to poke fun occasionally.

Last edited:
Then I have two words for you to run wild with, Ebony Pinstripes. Just, ugh. I think those are rebranded Tupperware lids.

Haha, well said. In all honesty the CS Black Dots and the PS3 Black Dot are my absolute favorite heads of all time. I just grew really tired of my remos constantly stretching, falling out of tune, and frequent dud new heads. I've had no issues with Evans, stellar customer service and product support, and make great use of their rewards system.

Birch tends to boost the highs .... reduce the mids .... have good low end punch. Maple tends to have a more balanced high/mid mix, and have warmer lows.

This is an excellent description of the differences between birch and maple.

As for the OP, Yamaha SCB drums do sound great for the price, though perhaps a little "thin" for my taste (at least with the stock heads). A coated 2-ply head should fatten it up a bit, while adding sonic variation from your maple kit. I prefer coated Emperors as they tend to have a more "organic" sound, though I'm sure coated G2s would achieve a similar result.

I have given Remo plenty of love. The Ambassadors a great. The 2 play heads have had issues. I have had way to many 2 ply's go dead / have wrinkles between plys. The Vintage ambassadors in particular were rough. I like the Diplomat fiberskin on snare batter as well

I have clear G1's on the main kit. Everytime I try something else, something is just missing.

Anyone been through this?

You're not missing anything. IMHO, an Ambassador/G1 is what a drum is supposed to sound like, and anything else is a contorted mutation of that. Sometimes you get a built in dot to control duration for high-tempo, closely spaced notes. Sometimes you use a built in ring to reduce overtone to make room for a dense arrangement of other band instruments. Sometimes a drum set sounds too good, and you need it to sound like LoFi cardboard, so you use an Emperor or G2. Sometimes you need to use brushes, so you get a coated head.

Back