Can't Help Falling Ron Tutt

Merlin5

Gold Member
I've transcribed it for you. Various sheet music show it in 12/8, 6/8 and even 4/4. I've done it in 6/8.

In my video, you'll hear it at a slow tempo, and then a faster tempo, closer to the recording. The way I hear it, it's first tom descending to second tom and then floor tom. The stroke on beat 4 might even be another tom before the floor tom. Start the fill on beat 2. Two strokes on tom 1, two strokes on tom 2, and the rest on the floor tom, ending on a crash and bass drum which would continue into the groove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyGXftUxuQI

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Merlin,
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, I was really struggling with this fill. Now I can slow it down with my metronome and get comfortable with it.

jazzerooty

One thing to watch out for is that Tutt had to follow Elvis, whose time is messed up from that period. He's was really pilled up most of the time. And tunes like "They Call it a Trap" just get out of hand. I saw a live video of that tune. where the tune doubled its tempo over the course of it. Tutt had to do what he had to do. No blame on him. But if you want to hear Elvis on a groove, get the old records, with DJ Fontana on drums.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
One thing to watch out for is that Tutt had to follow Elvis, whose time is messed up from that period. He's was really pilled up most of the time. And tunes like "They Call it a Trap" just get out of hand. I saw a live video of that tune. where the tune doubled its tempo over the course of it. Tutt had to do what he had to do. No blame on him. But if you want to hear Elvis on a groove, get the old records, with DJ Fontana on drums.
Yeah - I was gonna say - that version just flies! I've never heard it played that fast. Ron's a master though - able to hold it all together.