can't decide on a ride!!!

uniin

Gold Member
hey guys

im having big time troubles deciding on a ride! i want a versatile ride, but i mostly play more on the rock/metal side of things - something that has a nice crash sound, and a very defined bell.

my favourite that im looking at is a paiste 20" twenty series ride and a 20" sabian AA medium ride however i really like the 20" meinl benny greb sand ride but i don't think that would fit in with my music.

im a hard hitter so something that won't crack fast would be preferred.

any suggestions would be great!

thanks
tom

braincramp

Gold Member
I love the twenty series but if your playing heavy music you should really check out Paistes Signature Dry Heavy ride you cant really crash it but it has a ping and bell that will cut through anything, I use it with twentys and 2002s, and signature crashes also got a dark K. If you get a ride that you can crash your going to give up some volume on your ride...just buy more crashes. I have used lots of rides even he Z mega bell can't touch the dry heavy for volume on ride or bell.

JDC

I play a Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride. It's basically a big crash-ride. Big bell, maybe not as defined as what you'd get on a rock ride, but comparable to the bell on any medium ride cymbal.

meiste

Great choice on the meinl sand ride, that's my all time favourite cymbal and Benny Greb actually described my ideal sounding ride when he was interviewed talking about how he came up for the concept... but that's besides the point. Although the sand ride is a great versatile cymbal and has a very seperated bell sound, it isn't nearly bright enough for metal music so I wouldn't suggest that. However, I am a cymbal fanatic and I've found that metal players tend to lean towards meinl cymbals because of their tendancy to support hard hitting and bright sounds (other than their dark and dry lines of course). Personally I'd go for a meinl ride, but you could also look into some other meinls rides as well. The serpent ride is a great ride for metal playing, and also (sorry I can't remember the name) Chris Adler's signature ride cymbal (I feel like it's called meinl metal ride or something like that) could really be what you're looking for. It's got a clear bell and fantastic seperation between the bell and body of the cymbal. Again this somewhat opinion based. If you're set on Paiste then I'd take a look at their RUDE series for some nice bell seperation and a clear stick sound.

Sorry for the novel response :p

Davo-London

Gold Member
I just played the Sandride at the London Drum Show. The bell is as you describe i.e completely different. Very loud and clear. I didn't think the main rise was dramatically unique but a worthy addition nevertheless.

Davo

This will help you in choosing the ride, amongst the Paiste cymbal family.

Check: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63067

hey guys

im having big time troubles deciding on a ride! i want a versatile ride, but i mostly play more on the rock/metal side of things - something that has a nice crash sound, and a very defined bell.

my favourite that im looking at is a paiste 20" twenty series ride and a 20" sabian AA medium ride however i really like the 20" meinl benny greb sand ride but i don't think that would fit in with my music.

im a hard hitter so something that won't crack fast would be preferred.

any suggestions would be great!

thanks
tom

W

Woz.275

+1 for the sweet ride, had mine about 3/4 months and love the sound it makes, we play faily heavy.