Canopus zelkova or brady snare drum?

Hugo

Hi everybody,

I'd like to buy a new snare drum, wat do you think is the best, the brady or the canopus? What about the ludwig black beauty?

Thanks!

"Best" is quite subjective. All three are very, very good drums; they are heirloom quality. If you search this forum you will find one recurring piece of advice which is to listen to them yourself if possible.

Good luck with your choice.

GJS

I have a Zelkova, 14 x 6.5

On paper, the Zelkova should be the be all, end all of snare drums. For $1,300.00 USD it is NOT all that.

I go hot and cold with it. Some days I like it, other days it's like, meh...

It is a very dry drum, with very sharp bearing edges. It is not my favorite snare. My strainer sticks. I have a plywood maple drum that beats it everyday, if you can believe that.

It's not a bad drum but not worth the coin IMO. I liked it enough to buy it.

Can't comment on the Brady, never played one.

I'd get the BB. You simply cannot go wrong there, and everyone should have one.

But don't take our word on it. Listen and decide with your own ears.

Come on, guys!. i need ur opinión.

Young man...you have to play the drum to see if you like the way its sounds.Your ears have to make that decision...not one of us.

I am partial to a few snare drums,and the Black Beauty ..to me...is my favorite......to me.You may play it and hate it.I know a guy that is a die hard Ludwig fan,and has bought and sold 4 black beautys in the last 5 years.He has tried but he can bring himself to like the sound that so many of us,indeed most pro players love about the drum.

The other knock offs like the world max,sensitones,ect...don't sound the same as the Black Beauty to MY EARS.

I have not played a Canopus or a Brady in years but they are good products.

There is no BEST snare drum..no matter how much you pay for it.The Ludwig Acrolite is one of the best sounding and playing snare drum ever made,and you can buy a used one for 100 bucks on Ebay.Same with the Ludwig LM400/402 supraphonics.Great snare drums,and can be had from175-450 depending on size and condition.They are the most recorded and played snare drum is history.

So decide how much you want to spend....and play some drums...because what sounds great to me ...may not sound that way to you.

Steve B

Young man...you have to play the drum to see if you like the way its sounds.Your ears have to make that decision...not one of us.

I am partial to a few snare drums,and the Black Beauty ..to me...is my favorite......to me.You may play it and hate it.I know a guy that is a die hard Ludwig fan,and has bought and sold 4 black beautys in the last 5 years.He has tried but he can bring himself to like the sound that so many of us,indeed most pro players love about the drum.

The other knock offs like the world max,sensitones,ect...don't sound the same as the Black Beauty to MY EARS.

I have not played a Canopus or a Brady in years but they are good products.

There is no BEST snare drum..no matter how much you pay for it.The Ludwig Acrolite is one of the best sounding and playing snare drum ever made,and you can buy a used one for 100 bucks on Ebay.Same with the Ludwig LM400/402 supraphonics.Great snare drums,and can be had from175-450 depending on size and condition.They are the most recorded and played snare drum is history.

So decide how much you want to spend....and play some drums...because what sounds great to me ...may not sound that way to you.

Steve B
Sage advice--------------

I read a sterling review in MD on the zelkova,but I have read a few posts from people that said they owned one and while a nice snare,not the be all end all.I couldn't pay that much 1300.00 + for a snare drum,and probably wouldn't even if I won the Lotto.I have played and heard quite a few modern Black Beauties and I really like them,IMO they are extremely versatile,and I would bet a lot of drummers have a nice brass snare drum,as their only snare,or have one in the arsenal if they have multilple snares. If you buy one used,it is one of the few modern snares that may actually increase in value over what you paid for it in the next five years.I have played two 6 or 7 by 13 brady ply snares one of which I got to play several times in 4 hour rehearsals,and I really liked that drum,and it was a great high pitched funk/hip hop snare,and a great primary snare also.I would try to hear and play those drums before buying if at alI possible would give some of the Feaux Black beauties,pearl sensitones,worldmax,pork pie etc a try out too if you are not hung up on a Name brand/luxury piece,they are very nice bang for the buck snares.

I own 3 Bradys...why? They sound amazing and each one has its own character. I also owned a Black Beauty and hated it, literally sold it 72 hours after I bought it...hated it that much. Ive never had a Canopus, but someday I may. For my dollars, Brady wins time and time and time again.

F

Let's see...
If you guys, have to choose just one snare, what would you choose?
Brady
Canopus
BB
ANOTHER.....??

Thanks!

Who the hell could be content with one snare? :)

But to answer your question, Black Beauty....but, already got it, and considering a Brady jarrah block is the next snare on my list, I'll have one of those.

No experience with Canopus....no interest either. After the Brady, I'll stop buying snare drums.....I promise.

What about you.....what would you choose? Have you heard any of these? What did you think?

Let's see...
Brady
Canopus
BB
ANOTHER.....??

Thanks!

It would depend on my budget and what I already own. Having played all three, and with money not being a concern, I would probably go for a Brady Sheoak Block snare first, the Zelkova second, the BB third.

Why you might ask? The Brady and Canopus drums are really nice, handcrafted drums that sound excellent and will always be sought after as they are not as easily procured as a BB. The BB has been around for decades and will continue to be a mainstay, so while it sounds good, it will always be easy to get my hands on one down the road, borrow from a friend, rent from a backline company, etc. The Canopus and Brady, not so much.

Here are some videos that might help you decide if you do not have the ability to play them all in person.

Ludwig Black Beauty 14x6.5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adN1SlsZoiQ
Canopus Zelkova 14x6.5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIsxmvsQeSc
Brady Sheoak Block 14x6.5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTfx4zqpzV0

Let's see...
Brady
Canopus
BB
ANOTHER.....??

Thanks!

Another...1947 Slingerland Super Gene Krupa Radio King ..7x14 white marine pearl,single ply of steam bent maple,with maple re rings,nickel over brass rims.Just played it yesterday.Love my supras,and my BB...but nothing sounds like an old RK.But they are not for hard hitters.

Play some drums young man.Our vote should have nothing to do with your selection process...just your ears.Get yourself a 6 1/2x14 Ludwig LM 404 Acrolite..and save your money for more snare's or cymbals.

Steve B

Well, i only have a snare. It's a second hand ludwig. I think is a picolo black beauty, but im not sure, because I still haven't found another like her. Anyway, it sounds heaven!.
I bough it about 4 years ago, and now i want to buy another snare. Thats why i'm asking u, guys.
One month ago, i went to see a jazz-funk concert, the snare sounds pretty good, and at the end of it, i asked the drummer for the snaredrum. He told me it was the canopus zelkova. I didn't heard of it before, but it really surprised me about his sound. It really sounds good!.
I want to get a good snare, so thats why i was looking the bb, brady, canopus and craviotto, but its hard to choose...

I have been through countless snares (though never a Canopus) and the snare I always return to is my BB. It's a 14x6.5 and it sings in any situation. Easy to tune, to the point where you can literally throw a head on and receive a great sound. I also I have a black magic (a cheaper version by Ludwig) that's also very very cool. Also the new Ludwig Corey Miller signature looks worth a go too.

I will jump on th bandwagon of "let your ears be the juge" as you only know what you want. I know it's no help really in your situation, but sadly it is the truth.

For my 0.02, the BB is the most useable, all rounder of a snare on the market....

Back