Canopus Snare Cords

single-ply

So I bought some Canopus snares the other day. Looking in the packaging, it didn't look like it came with snare cords, so I also bought what I've always used, the standard Ludwig snare cord most of us are familiar with.

I mounted the snares and got them set and they sound fine and then I noticed that Canopus did include cords and they are REALLY thick, almost like shoe strings.

Have any of you used the Canopus strings and are they thick for a reason? I didn't see anything unusual about the snares that would suggest that their thicker strings would work better so just wondering. Thicker strings seem counter-intuitive to me.

Thanks.

dmacc_2

Their wires are all I use. Never tried their cords. I use grosgrain ribbon for all of my snares.

basset52

Ive got a few of the Canopus snare wires and use the cords - they are thick. The only thing I've noticed is that one of the cords has worn really thin in one spot with not a lot of use and looks like it will need replacing.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Ribbon works for some snares, but others are designed to have the thicker cord under the end plates - without it the plates will ‘seesaw’ down and the snares will be lifted above the drumhead for an inch or so, making a horrible thin buzzing sound that gets worse as you tighten the strainer.

I discovered this on one particular puresound model. Put the strings back on and everything went back to normal.

D

drumming sort of person

Grosgrain Ribbon. You'll never use plastic again.
Fabric stretches. Using it to mount snare wires is fine only if you don't play with much dynamics. When striking the drum forcefully, the response changes dramatically, and not in a good way. Plastic straps provide the most uniform response from snare wire. It doesn't stretch. I've tried using grosgrain ribbon many times. Some ribbon worked better than others, but plastic has it beat by a mile.

Ron_M

Ribbon works for some snares, but others are designed to have the thicker cord under the end plates - without it the plates will ‘seesaw’ down and the snares will be lifted above the drumhead for an inch or so, making a horrible thin buzzing sound that gets worse as you tighten the strainer.

I discovered this on one particular puresound model. Put the strings back on and everything went back to normal.
This is often overlooked. In order to get your wire-set to lay properly, you have to put the time into trying different set-ups. Depending on end-plate and snare bed design, you might be better off with either straps or string. I've had some wire-sets that didn't work set up either way, and figure that they just didn't jive with the bed design on that particular snare. That's why I have several different types of wire sets, along with straps and string in my parts bin.