Canopus bolt tight leather washers?

Drum Guy

was just about to use these on a few snares, then I thought what about toms/bass? Got a complete DW Performance/collector's (mixed) 6-piece maple kit and I noticed all tension rods on it have those DW plastic washers...

so would it be totally unnecessary to remove all these DW plastic washers on the kit and replace with Canopus bolt tights? No real sound difference as well as no noticeable hold tunings benefit? DW's plastic as good as leather anyway for sound and holding tight? Always looking for best sound and tension hold possible.

I ask as it'll be a little time consuming to replace all those DW washers. also you're supposed to use 2 bolt tights between a metal washer - but the DW's (and no doubt other makes) don't have any metal washers, so can only use 1 bolt tight, but which will then be half the height of the DW plastic washer.

SO do you think Not worth it? Use only on drums that have steel washers, etc? anyone have experience with these Canopus washers on toms/bass?

and I'm very aware this is the most so-called first-world problem one could have - just curious though :cautious:

Attachments

• IMG_4824.jpg
    IMG_4824.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Typically (not always) you want a metal washer for metal applications and plastic for plastic. In the instance of a drum hoop, the rod head never really sits flush on the hoop, so the metal washer wont either. A compressible washer under the metal washer will conform to both the metal washer and the hoop surface, thus giving you a more complete mating surface.

You already have plastic. Its compressible. I'm of the opinion you dont need leather washers, rather metal ones above the plastic.

s1212z

so would it be totally unnecessary to remove all these DW plastic washers on the kit and replace with Canopus bolt tights? No real sound difference as well as no noticeable hold tunings benefit? DW's plastic as good as leather anyway for sound and holding tight? Always looking for best sound and tension hold possible.

It doesn't replace a washer, it creates a sandwich around the washer itself (top and bottom), they usually use metal in the middle. I haven't tested with or without to A/B compare but I like the feel of tuning and possibility of unwanted noise is reduced.

Never tried the Red Lock, depends on how hard of a hitter for what you need. As for plastic washers, they may reduce noise too but I've broken many under hi tunings or just wear down over time.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
FWIW, my DW's with the 32 TPI rods stay in tune the best out of any drums I've had.

I'm talking holding a tuning for years when they were stored in 2014. I pulled them out this year and could have gigged them with the tunings I heard. Surprised me. The drums were stacked uncased too.

I wouldn't throw money at it unless you really need to. The lug lockerz...meh. They fall off, get lost...Bolt tights are nice but I don't think you even need them TBH. I don't like anything soft on my drums, so I'd stick with the hard plastic washers. But that's me. Or another option is to remove off the hard plastic DW washers so it's metal to metal between the rods and hoops. That's what I did. They still held tune for what 7 years. Plus I do lubricate the lugs and rods so they turn nice and smooth..

Drum Guy

Thanks for everybody’s replies

looks like I’m just gonna try to use these bolt tights (since I did buy them) on a few snares I have if they have metal to metal contact. it’ll probably mute a small amount of any overtones

Bozozoid

Typically (not always) you want a metal washer for metal applications and plastic for plastic. In the instance of a drum hoop, the rod head never really sits flush on the hoop, so the metal washer wont either. A compressible washer under the metal washer will conform to both the metal washer and the hoop surface, thus giving you a more complete mating surface.

You already have plastic. Its compressible. I'm of the opinion you dont need leather washers, rather metal ones above the plastic.
Wow..news to me..and implanted in my memory. Makes total sence.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
it’ll probably mute a small amount of any overtones
Probably not, I am just a complete geek with washers and gaskets. I toss them. There's probably no discernible sonic difference. I definitely heard a difference when I removed the soft rubber lug gaskets like what's on DW. Don't listen to me if you think I am touting metal to metal on the rods/is superior. It really doesn't matter. Well to me it does, even though I can't hear it, I know in my head that this is the best I can do to get my head vibrations transferred to the shell with minimum losses. I'm a proud overthinker. It's minutia in the big picture.

IBitePrettyHard

Thanks for everybody’s replies

looks like I’m just gonna try to use these bolt tights (since I did buy them) on a few snares I have if they have metal to metal contact. it’ll probably mute a small amount of any overtones
I have a feeling that using just 1 Bolt Tight washer by itself would defeat the purpose of using them. You'll need to use them in the sandwich configuration for them to have enough friction to prevent detuning.

I recently got a Canopus The Maple snare, and it came with Bolt Tight washers. They're really nice and I've had zero issues.

Drum Guy

I have a feeling that using just 1 Bolt Tight washer by itself would defeat the purpose of using them. You'll need to use them in the sandwich configuration for them to have enough friction to prevent detuning.

I recently got a Canopus The Maple snare, and it came with Bolt Tight washers. They're really nice and I've had zero issues.
agreed