Cannot get snare mic to stop crackling

Drumn44

Good evening everyone,
New to the thread and to home drum recording. I purchased a cheaper drum mic kit a CAD PRO 7. I have the mics connected to my interface and then running into my Mac. My kick my toms and overhead all sound fine during monitoring or play back through my headphones, but when trying to get a good sound for my snare drum I constantly get a popping noise as if the speaker is blown. Even with the input almost all the way down or the headphone volume way down I am still getting this noise. I’m hoping someone can loop me in on what I am obviously doing wrong here. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you !!

Innova

Good evening everyone,
New to the thread and to home drum recording. I purchased a cheaper drum mic kit a CAD PRO 7. I have the mics connected to my interface and then running into my Mac. My kick my toms and overhead all sound fine during monitoring or play back through my headphones, but when trying to get a good sound for my snare drum I constantly get a popping noise as if the speaker is blown. Even with the input almost all the way down or the headphone volume way down I am still getting this noise. I’m hoping someone can loop me in on what I am obviously doing wrong here. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you !!
Bad xlr? Try swapping cables, see if the problem follows...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Swap cables, if that doesn’t work swap inputs (could be your interface), then swap mics (you could have a bad mic). If you have an pads, disengage those because you shouldn’t need them anyway.

Drumn44

Thanks for the input everyone I immediately tried to change the input on my interface but to no avail. I’ll try the cables next and hope it’s not the mic. Thanks again everyone!!

Drumn44

Hey guys i changed mic cables and still no help. Im not sure if this is an interface issue as i am using a Tascam 16x08? Upon investigating further all the mics are actually making the crack noise as if the speakers are blow. It is not with every strike but it is very often, even with the quietest of strikes... I don't think this would be an issue but I am only recording to garage band on my iMac for the time being with this interface/mic set as i want to be sure all is well before purchasing a DAW like Logic or Reaper.

KamaK

Platinum Member
i am using a Tascam 16x08? Upon investigating further all the mics are actually making the crack noise as if the speakers are blow.
The crackle issue appears to be quite common with this interface. Several pages of google results.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Does it occur at all gain levels?

Record with one mic. Start with the preamp at zero gain, hit the drum pianissimo. The resulting sound wave should be flat. Increase 3dB, repeat.

If you see a spike from the crackle at lower gain levels, and they are all the same amplitude, it’s the Tascam.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Does it occur at all gain levels?

Record with one mic. Start with the preamp at zero gain, hit the drum pianissimo. The resulting sound wave should be flat. Increase 3dB, repeat.

If you see a spike from the crackle at lower gain levels, and they are all the same amplitude, it’s the Tascam.
In addition, you can completely rule out the mics by plugging in a line instrument (guitar/bass/etc) or looping an output to an input and phase-comparing the signals.