Candy Cane Drumsticks

Adam Vargo

So I know it is not the most normal thing but my school often tapes our drumsticks during marching season so now it has become second nature to tape sticks to look a specific way for effect or to help the drumline match a theme for the show. I wanted to do this with a pair of sticks for to make them look like candy canes (I don't care much about playability as they are for show) and have a bend in them. I can get them to look the part but I don't know how I can add the bend to them especially because I want the piece to be removeable, relatively cheep and possibly reusable next year. Am I the only one who does this or have any of you done this before? Any input would be greatly appreciated so feel free to toss even absurd ideas around.

P.S. I use 5B drumsticks which are .595 inches wide or 3/5 inches wide

I have had straight candy canes. Just tape them with red spiraled tape and enjoy the show.

I would be concerned about playability with the additional offset weight at the butt end of the stick. If you must have the bend, make sure it's super-light.

No ideas... just be mindful of the balance.

Bermuda

I would be concerned about playability with the additional offset weight at the butt end of the stick. If you must have the bend, make sure it's super-light.

No ideas... just be mindful of the balance.

Bermuda

Indeed. I’m sure some thin pex or PVC pipe would work. There might even be some u-bend fittings available in the right diameter.

Maybe the handle of a children's or candy filled umbrella.

My first thought was to get a piece of narrow pvc pipe that fits over the stick like a sleeve. Here's some online instructions on how to bend it (I've never done it myself, just googled it).
https://www.google.com/amp/www.instructables.com/id/Bend-PVC-Pipe/?amp_page=true

If you want the bend on the tip end of the stick, you could drill a hole in the pipe right where the bend starts so the tip can poke through.

The only problem with this is it creates a big bump on the backs of the sticks and I can't seem to find any 3/5 inch PVC pipe let alone any that has a 180 degree bend

You could try to find pre-bent automotive radiator hoses abd paint them. My next suggestion would be hit up an arts and crafts store and use you imagination. Check the floral department. What about the candy cane yard decorations?

You could try to find pre-bent automotive radiator hoses abd paint them. My next suggestion would be hit up an arts and crafts store and use you imagination. Check the floral department. What about the candy cane yard decorations?

Not seeing radiator pipe small enough but it was worth a shot, I'll keep in mind going to a crafts store but I don't know if I can go out there anytime soon

I have had straight candy canes. Just tape them with red spiraled tape and enjoy the show.

+1 to this.

I remember as a kid having a Huge "straight" candy cane..took like 3 days to eat the thing.

I would get some red and white tape (griptape or whatev) and go to town on your sticks. Im sure it would look the part.
IMO.

Edit: just found these (see photo). Looks convincing to me..
Edit again: after research, it seems they took these red "jim Kilpatrick" sticks, and just some white electrical tape, then a dash of red tape to make the transition. I think it could all be done with white tape (on red stick), with an exacto knife to "correct the edge". Or heck, run the tape all the way down the stick. At least that way, when you do awesome stick flip tricks, the ends look similar, like real candy canes.

(I'll also point out, that you could also use a white stick as a base, and use red tape down the stick.)

Ok, back to work for me... just gotta look up "jim Kilpatrick" 1st.

T.

Attachments

• candy stick.jpg
    candy stick.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
For a Christmas show one year I used a pair of the Vic Firth Buddy Rich sticks & wrapped red electrical tape around it (as they're white). Made for a great look on the cheap.

Back