Canadian Zildjian

Sonorfan

I picked this 22in ride up in December for $100
Canadian $$s and I very pleased with the sound and it's in vg condition. I know during the Zil Canada period that both A'a and some K's were made but not sure what I have. I'm sending pic of stamping and hoping someone can give me info as to type and possibly date of mfr. I had heard Can. A's were flatter than K's and this one has a substantial bell and med curve.
Thanks to all who weigh in !

Attachments

• 0C043589-277B-44ED-A404-FE708DE26264.jpeg
    0C043589-277B-44ED-A404-FE708DE26264.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 27
  • ED727028-C07F-4F62-AA5E-C9045BDA9D6A.jpeg
    ED727028-C07F-4F62-AA5E-C9045BDA9D6A.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 25

IBitePrettyHard

Canadian Zildjians are a little tricky to identify. First, you'll want to get yourself a microfiber towel. Dab it in warm water and gently start rubbing the cymbal in a circular motion. You wanna keep scrubbing, and don't give up. It takes a while to wipe all the factory maple syrup off. Just be patient.

Stroman

Platinum Member
From the hammering and lathing, I'd say you have an A. From all those I've seen, what you were told about A's and K's is completely reversed. K's most always have the flatter profile.

This is just based on my experience. I'm not a scholar or expert. YMMV.

Sonorfan

From the hammering and lathing, I'd say you have an A. From all those I've seen, what you were told about A's and K's is completely reversed. K's most always have the flatter profile.

This is just based on my experience. I'm not a scholar or expert. YMMV.
Ok your right but on the Drum history podcast the Ziljian R&D guy stated that Canadian made A's were flatter that the US mfr'd

Sonorfan

PS - I'd leave the factory maple syrup intact. I find it really sweetens the tone of these vintage cymbals!
Lol
I plan to clean this cymbal up but it really won't make a lot of difference to the stamping as far as clarity as it appears that the stamp was weighted more to one side or the cymbal wasn't in the stamping press level. At any rate I'm super pleased with the sound and the price I paid. I haven't weighed it but I'm guessing it's a medium. I have a new 20in Sabian AAX medium ride and the Zil is darker.

Sonorfan

Canadian Zildjians are a little tricky to identify. First, you'll want to get yourself a microfiber towel. Dab it in warm water and gently start rubbing the cymbal in a circular motion. You wanna keep scrubbing, and don't give up. It takes a while to wipe all the factory maple syrup off. Just be patient.
If I told you I clean all my cymbals with Hydrochoric Acid would you be appalled ? Actuall the cheapest form of it is Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner.. "the original dark blue not the type with bleach". It's an old trick that a piano restorer came up with to clean brass hinges etc on pianos...It's instant. The Lysol product does have a bit of tallow in it as a thickening agent so I rinse the cymbal after cleaning sometimes with a little Dawn dishwashing soap to make sure tallow is gone.. see, Dawn is good for Cymbals as well as baby Ducks covered in ships bunker oil.

TK-421

I can tell it's an A just by the lathing. Those grooves were specifically designed to not only let the B20 alloy vibrate more freely, but to also channel the Canadian maple syrup to create an even distribution across the cymbal. Ensuring both a pleasing ride sound and a delicious yet nutritious breakfast.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Ok your right but on the Drum history podcast the Ziljian R&D guy stated that Canadian made A's were flatter that the US mfr'd
That's a possibility, compared to USA made A's, but they still weren't as low profile as the Ks. In any case, you got a really good buy!

Sonorfan

I can tell it's an A just by the lathing. Those grooves were specifically designed to not only let the B20 alloy vibrate more freely, but to also channel the Canadian maple syrup to create an even distribution across the cymbal. Ensuring both a pleasing ride sound and a delicious yet nutritious breakfast.
Your Certifiable eh ? 😂😂😂

Sonorfan

I once heard that the Canadian factory is what became Sabian. Is this correct?
Yes It did. After Armand Zildjian and brother Robert split due to business model differences in about 1981, Robert bought the Canadian Plant. He couldn't use the Zildjian name he called it Sabian which was an acronym for his three kids names SAlly, BILl,ANdy. Actually Zildian Canada had two of the original Turkish factory cymbal makers, including Kerope.. the K Zildjian.. there. They came to US after Turkish factory closed in the 70s but couldn't get Green Cards so went to Canada as immigration laws much different. They passed on their skills to the Canadians so that the A and K were made in Canada from blanks produced in the US up until 81/82. The Canadian plant, because of these people, also produced Chinese and other specialty cymbals that were shipped to Zildian USA along with A's and Z's. If you listen to Podcasts a great one is
called Drum History. There is an interview with current Sabian President Andy Zildjian who tells how it all went down that resulted in the formation of Sabian. Great podcast as it covers history of every major drum, cymbal and accessory mfr with live interviews with the principals.